Struggling with Practice Test Questions on Electromagnetism?

• Thread starter AznBoi
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Test
In summary: Now for the potential energy, you need to use the formula U=qV where q is the charge and V is the potential at that point. So in this case, it would be U=q(2kQ/d). Yes, you add the potential differences because they are scalar quantities. You only need to subtract if they are opposite charges or if the potential difference is in the opposite direction. And yes, for vectors, you need to use pythagorean or trig to find the resultant. Hope that helps!
AznBoi
http://img148.imageshack.us/img148/7599/981718254748dd2.png
My work, my answers are wrong obviously.

18. [tex]U_{E}=\frac{kq1q2}{d}[/tex] -- I substituted the electric force with the work equation to get this.

25. Q=mL, Q=mcT . I combined these to get mL=mcT, stuck from there.

47. F=q(v x B), v=F/qB, F=mv^2/r
I combined these equations to get: mv/r=qB and solved for v and I then I just guessed.

48. Why is the answer D?? I know that it has something to do with lenz's law but I only know how to apply that law for magnets moving with either North or South pole. (If a north pole of a magnet moves towards the wire the induced current is counter clockwise right? If the south pole moves into the wire it is clock wise?)-- Is this right?

Thanks for your help guys! =]

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Sorry we are not giving answers as such. You may get hints for your doubts and confusions only. Show your approach in case not getting the correct answers.

Oh, I just posted the picture first to see if it worked lol. Anyways, my attempts are on the board! Do you want me to post the answers too? I have the answer key btw, just not the solutions.

Is the diagram is given? Should be, otherwise what is Q? what about the position of the point P?

mukundpa said:
Is the diagram is given? Should be, otherwise what is Q? what about the position of the point P?
Yeah, I realized that lol. I forgot to include the picture because I got 17 right. So for 17, all I did was add the two electric field vectors (one to the left and one down) to get the resultant vector which is (c) right? Thanks.

Now it is clear. There are two charges Q both at a distance d from the third corner of the square.

Find potential V at that point due to both Q charges (Potential is a scalar quantity) then multiply q and V.

For the next heat is required to first increase the temperature of ice up to the melting point then latent heat to melt and then to increase temperature of water.

For the next you got the relation for v. Put the value of e/m for proton and probable values of B and r and will get the order of the velocity.

mukundpa said:
Now it is clear. There are two charges Q both at a distance d from the third corner of the square.

Find potential V at that point due to both Q charges (Potential is a scalar quantity) then multiply q and V.

So how do you find the potential v at the point? I know that [tex]V=\frac{U_{e}}{q} =Ed[/tex]
I don't get what you mean by then multiply q and v.

The potential at that point will be KQ/d due to each charge Q so what is the total potential? and what is the potential energy?

mukundpa said:
The potential at that point will be KQ/d due to each charge Q so what is the total potential? and what is the potential energy?

OKay, so [tex]\frac{kQ}{d}+\frac{kQ}{d}=2\frac{kQ}{d} *q= 2k\frac{qQ}{d}[/tex]? So how do you know that you need to add the potential differences rather than just the potential energies? You can do it either way right? So do you just add them because they are a scalar? Is there any time where you need to subtract them? (mabye when the charges are opposite?) So if the quantities are scalar you just add them and if they are vectors you need to use pythagorean or trig right?

Going in the right direction.

1. What is the purpose of practice test questions?

The purpose of practice test questions is to help students prepare for an upcoming exam or assessment. These questions allow students to review and apply their knowledge, identify areas where they may need more practice, and become familiar with the format and structure of the actual test.

2. How should I use practice test questions effectively?

To use practice test questions effectively, it is important to approach them as if they were the actual test. Set aside a specific amount of time to complete the questions, use the same resources and tools that will be allowed during the real test, and simulate test-taking conditions as closely as possible. After completing the questions, review your answers and identify areas where you may need more practice.

3. Are practice test questions similar to the actual test questions?

Practice test questions may be similar to the actual test questions in terms of content and format, but they should not be seen as exact replicas of the real test. They are designed to help students study and prepare, not to give them the exact questions they will encounter on the test. It is important to use a variety of study materials and not rely solely on practice test questions.

4. Can practice test questions improve my test performance?

Yes, practice test questions can improve test performance by helping students become more familiar with the material and the test format. They also allow students to identify areas where they may need more practice and help build confidence and reduce test anxiety.

5. How many times should I take practice test questions?

The number of times a student should take practice test questions will vary depending on their individual needs and study habits. It is generally recommended to take multiple practice tests to assess progress and identify areas for improvement. However, it is important to also use other study methods and not rely solely on practice test questions.