Calculate the height of a building

In summary, the conversation discusses various methods for calculating the height of a building, including using trigonometry and known measurements, using a total station or RTK-GPS, and creative solutions such as throwing a pencil off the roof or using a laser rangefinder. The conversation also mentions the importance of considering the tools and restrictions allowed, and suggests using a combination of methods to ensure accuracy.
pardesi
Design a method to calculate the height of a building?this is an engineering design question...
URGENT! ...i need inputs !

Physics news on Phys.org
You have to make an attempt.
What methods can you think of?
Can you approach the building, what tools are you allowed?

ya i do have my method ...the method i use is we can use trigonometry(the std method) where using a sextant like instrument to measure the angle and use similarity knowing my height
any other non trivial methods or say innovatyive wud be appriciated

If this were a real engineering question the answer would just be use a total station or an RTK-GPS but presumably you are expected to come up with many different ways.
Most involve trig and similair triangles. Like measuring the length of a shadow from a stick of known height and comparing it to the length of the shadow from the building.

what are total stations and RTK GPS

A total station is a theodolite with a laser rangefinder, since it can measure 2 angles (the theodolite part) and distance (the laser) you can measure the relative position of anything you can see with high accuracy (mm).
RTK-GPS is a special type of GPS receiver that can measure the relative position between a pair of them to high accuracy (a few mm).
See wikipedia for details - or a survey supplies company.

As I said it depends wether this is a homework or an engineering question.

I like the throwing a pencil off the roof method.

Topher925 said:
I like the throwing a pencil off the roof method.

Or giving the janitor a barometer!

I often use Hilit laser range finder at work similar to what MgbPhys is talking about except you just point and shoot and it tells you the distance.

If you are allwed to use on of these you could create a triangle using the side of the building and the ground. Use survey tape to measure directly out from the building a certain distance say 30 metres. Then sit back at that distance and shine the laser to the top of the building. Might want to do it when its dark so you can see the laser or use binoculars if it was a large building or if its too large it might not work at all. Use a block of wood or rock to steady the laser and get the distance. You then know 2 sides to a 90 degree triangle solve for your unknown.

Thats what I would attempt to do.

1. How do you calculate the height of a building?

To calculate the height of a building, you will need to use the formula: height = distance x tan(angle), where the distance is the distance between the observer and the base of the building, and the angle is the angle of elevation from the observer to the top of the building.

2. What tools do I need to calculate the height of a building?

You will need a measuring tape, a protractor, and a calculator to calculate the height of a building using the formula mentioned above. Additionally, you may need a level and a ruler to ensure accurate measurements.

3. Can I calculate the height of a building without being physically present?

Yes, you can calculate the height of a building without being physically present by using a satellite image or a map with a scale. You can measure the distance between the base and the top of the building on the image or map and then use the formula mentioned in question 1 to calculate the height.

4. Is it necessary to know the angle of elevation to calculate the height of a building?

Yes, the angle of elevation is necessary to calculate the height of a building using the given formula. If the angle is not known, you can use a clinometer to measure it.

5. Can I use the same formula to calculate the height of any building?

Yes, the formula for calculating the height of a building can be used for any building as long as the distance and the angle of elevation are measured accurately. However, this formula may not be applicable for buildings with complicated structures or irregular shapes.