Formatting my MacBook Pro (how to?)

• Thread starter Saladsamurai
  • Start date
In summary: Everytime I need to open a file or something, if I don't have the necessary software to do so I just start downloading away with no regard to where this stuff is coming from.I am under the impression that this thing is invincible...but I should know better.
Saladsamurai
So I did some looking around and it looks like in order to reset my MBP to its factory settings, I have to use the disk that came with it.

I looked in the box that my MacBook came in and all I have is two disks: parts 1 and 2 of OS X installation. Is that what they mean? Do I just put these in (one at a time obviously:biggrin:) and away we go?

Also, if I have programs that I no longer have the registration keys for, is it possible to save them? Or is that a silly question?

Thanks,
Casey

Computer science news on Phys.org
Just contact support for the programs you lost the keys for, they can bring up your records.

Reinstalling OSX will give you clean slate with all default settings. All data will be lost though unless you back up the files on cd etc.

Greg Bernhardt said:
Just contact support for the programs you lost the keys for, they can bring up your records.

Agreed.

Saladsamurai said:
So I did some looking around and it looks like in order to reset my MBP to its factory settings, I have to use the disk that came with it.

Just out of curiosity, why do you feel you need to reset your MBP? There could be a fix, if you're having problems.

But yes, to answer your question, just put in the installation disks.

cristo said:
Agreed.

Just out of curiosity, why do you feel you need to reset your MBP? There could be a fix, if you're having problems.

But yes, to answer your question, just put in the installation disks.

I have only had it for a couple of years (at most) but I feel like it does not run nearly as "strongly" as it should. These are supposed to be soooo great for running multiple applications at once, but I have yet to see it. It makes me wonder if I have done something to it that is screwing it up.

Everytime I need to open a file or something, if I don't have the necessary software to do so I just start downloading away with no regard to where this stuff is coming from.

I have it in my head "Macs don't get viruses...so what to I care..."

I am under the impression that this thing is invincible...but I should know better.

1. How do I format my MacBook Pro?

To format your MacBook Pro, you will need to restart your computer and hold down the Command and R keys at the same time. This will bring you to the Recovery Mode menu. From there, you can select the option to "Reinstall macOS" and follow the prompts to format your computer.

2. Will formatting my MacBook Pro erase all of my data?

Yes, formatting your MacBook Pro will erase all of your data. It is important to back up any important files before proceeding with the formatting process.

3. How long does it take to format a MacBook Pro?

The time it takes to format a MacBook Pro can vary depending on the model and the amount of data on the computer. On average, it can take anywhere from 30 minutes to an hour.

4. Do I need any special tools to format my MacBook Pro?

No, you do not need any special tools to format your MacBook Pro. The formatting process can be done using the built-in Recovery Mode on your computer.

5. Will formatting my MacBook Pro fix any software issues?

Formatting your MacBook Pro can help resolve some software issues, but it is not a guaranteed solution. If you are experiencing software issues, it is recommended to try troubleshooting steps before resorting to formatting.