How Much Delta-V is Needed for a Hohmann Transfer to Mars?

• Thread starter hhhmortal
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Orbits
In summary, the conversation discusses estimating the delta-V required for a Hohmann transfer between Earth and Mars, and the minimum wait time at Mars before a return journey to Earth becomes possible. The equations for Hohmann transfer, interplanetary orbit transfer, and synodic period are mentioned. The use of equations for hyperbolic escape trajectory is also discussed, and it is determined that both the equations for Hohmann transfer and hyperbolic escape trajectory are needed to calculate the total delta-V required for the first stage.
hhhmortal

Homework Statement

Estimate the total delta-V required to perform a Hohmann transfer between the Earth and Mars, ignoring the gravitational influences of the two planets. The planetary orbits may be assumed to be circular and in the same plane.

Why will there be a minimum wait time at Mars before a return journey to Earth, via a second Hohmann transfer, becomes possible?

Homework Equations

v = [GM(2/r - 1/a)]^1/2

The Attempt at a Solution

Is this more simple than I think it is, Do I need to link conic sections instead?

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
^Bump

So by ignoring the gravitational influences of the two planets, you're concerned strictly with the interplanetary orbit transfer, I assume.

Well, both planets are still in their orbit, so you have to account for their motions. The Hohmann transfer is efficient for use of delta v but not the transfer time...what do you know, or what equations do you know, that can be used to account for the synodic period of the two planets?

aerospaceut10 said:
So by ignoring the gravitational influences of the two planets, you're concerned strictly with the interplanetary orbit transfer, I assume.

Well, both planets are still in their orbit, so you have to account for their motions. The Hohmann transfer is efficient for use of delta v but not the transfer time...what do you know, or what equations do you know, that can be used to account for the synodic period of the two planets?

Well I have used equations from the following webpage:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hohmann_transfer_orbit

and then just added delta-v1 and delta-v2:

But apparently there's another way of doing it, which is escaping from Earth using equation:

V(excess velocity)² = v(initial velocity)² - v(escape velocity)²

When do I use which?

Thanks.

hhhmortal said:
Well I have used equations from the following webpage:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hohmann_transfer_orbit

and then just added delta-v1 and delta-v2:

But apparently there's another way of doing it, which is escaping from Earth using equation:

V(excess velocity)² = v(initial velocity)² - v(escape velocity)²

When do I use which?

Thanks.

Just to clarify, the original question you asked was about the minimum wait time. Did you figure out what you needed to account for?

And for the

"V(excess velocity)² = v(initial velocity)² - v(escape velocity)²"

I'm assuming v(escapevelocity) is vfinal velocity, and V(excess velocity) is Vdelta. That's just the pythagorean theorem for the triangle formed with the three vectors...you still need to use the equations from the Hohmann transfer to calculate the actual values for the delta V required for each burn. So you need both, basically.

Let's put it this way. You are traveling from one object moving in a circle with one period to another moving in a different circle and at at different speed. The time it takes for you to move from one circle to the next is fixed. What conditions have to be met in order for the target object to be right point of its circle when you get there?

aerospaceut10 said:
Just to clarify, the original question you asked was about the minimum wait time. Did you figure out what you needed to account for?

And for the

"V(excess velocity)² = v(initial velocity)² - v(escape velocity)²"

I'm assuming v(escapevelocity) is vfinal velocity, and V(excess velocity) is Vdelta. That's just the pythagorean theorem for the triangle formed with the three vectors...you still need to use the equations from the Hohmann transfer to calculate the actual values for the delta V required for each burn. So you need both, basically.

Oh right! So you use the equations for hohmann transfer to get the deltaV for the hyperbolic escape trajectory which takes it clear of the Earth's sphere of influence. And once you get deltaV1 for hohmann transfer and deltav1 for hyperbolic escape trajectory..you add both values to get the total deltaV for first stage?

What is a Hohmann Transfer orbit?

A Hohmann Transfer orbit is a type of elliptical orbit used to transfer a spacecraft between two circular orbits with different radii. It involves two main maneuvers - a burn to enter the elliptical transfer orbit and a second burn to circularize the spacecraft's orbit at the desired destination.

What is the advantage of using a Hohmann Transfer orbit?

The main advantage of using a Hohmann Transfer orbit is that it requires the least amount of fuel compared to other transfer methods. This is because it takes advantage of the natural motion of the planets and their gravitational pulls to move the spacecraft between orbits.

What are the limitations of a Hohmann Transfer orbit?

A Hohmann Transfer orbit is limited to transferring between two circular orbits with a specific difference in radius. It also requires precise timing and positioning, as any errors can result in a failed transfer or a significantly longer transfer time.

How long does a Hohmann Transfer orbit take?

The duration of a Hohmann Transfer orbit depends on the distance between the two circular orbits and the speed of the spacecraft. On average, it takes about 6 to 9 months to complete a Hohmann Transfer between Earth and Mars.

What are some real-world examples of using Hohmann Transfer orbits?

Hohmann Transfer orbits have been used in numerous space missions, including NASA's Mariner 4, which was the first spacecraft to fly by Mars, and the Cassini mission, which explored Saturn and its moons. They are also used in satellite launches and in the transfer of supplies and crew to the International Space Station.