Force exerted over a distance

• Thread starter kaiazad
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Force
In summary, the problem asks for the force exerted by a pitcher on a baseball during a record-setting pitch. Given the velocity of the pitch (46 m/s), the distance it traveled (1.0 m), and the mass of the baseball (145 g), the formula f=ma can be used to solve for the force. The formula takes into account acceleration, initial velocity, final velocity, and distance traveled. With three of these values known, the acceleration can be calculated and then used to find the force exerted by the pitcher. The student is encouraged to refer to their textbook for the specific formula.
kaiazad

Homework Statement

The fastest pitched baseball was clocked at 46 m/s. If the pitcher exerted his force (assumed to be horizontal and constant) over a distance of 1.0 m, and a baseball has a mass of 145 g.
What force did the pitcher exert on the ball during this record-setting pitch?

Homework Equations

f=ma

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that Newtons are (kg*m)/sec^2, but I only have a velocity, not an acceleration, so I can't figure out the right force.

Physics news on Phys.org
kaiazad said:

Homework Statement

The fastest pitched baseball was clocked at 46 m/s. If the pitcher exerted his force (assumed to be horizontal and constant) over a distance of 1.0 m, and a baseball has a mass of 145 g.
What force did the pitcher exert on the ball during this record-setting pitch?

Homework Equations

f=ma

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that Newtons are (kg*m)/sec^2, but I only have a velocity, not an acceleration, so I can't figure out the right force.

Not to give away the answer: There is a formula that relates acceleration, initial velocity, final velocity, and distance traveled. Since you know three of the four items, with it you can find the acceleration, and hence the force.

Go find it in your textbook.

Figured it out! thanks!

1. What is force exerted over a distance?

Force exerted over a distance, also known as work, is a measure of the energy transferred when a force is applied to an object and causes it to move a certain distance.

2. What is the formula for calculating force exerted over a distance?

The formula for calculating force exerted over a distance is work = force x distance. This means that the amount of work done is directly proportional to the force applied and the distance over which it is applied.

3. How is force exerted over a distance related to power?

Power is the rate at which work is done. This means that the more force exerted over a given distance, the more power is required to do that work in a shorter amount of time. In other words, the greater the force exerted over a distance, the more powerful the object or system is.

4. What are some real-life examples of force exerted over a distance?

Some examples of force exerted over a distance include pushing a car up a hill, lifting weights at the gym, and throwing a ball. In each of these situations, force is applied to an object and it moves a certain distance, resulting in work being done.

5. How does the angle of the force affect the amount of work done?

The angle of the force affects the amount of work done by reducing the effective force applied in the direction of motion. For example, if a force is applied at an angle to an object's direction of motion, only the component of the force in the direction of motion will contribute to the work done.