Distance Traveled By A Car-Kinematics Problem

In summary, the car travels due east on a straight road and accelerates at a constant rate for 10 seconds, increasing its velocity from rest to 40 m/s. It then travels at a constant velocity for 5 seconds and accelerates at a steady rate for the next 5 seconds to a velocity of 20 m/s. It travels at this velocity for 10 seconds and then accelerates rapidly to a stop at a time of 2 seconds. The total distance traveled by the car is 770 meters. To solve this, a time-velocity graph can be drawn and the area bounded by the graph with the x-axis can be calculated. The total distance is found by adding the areas of two triangles, two rectangles, and
haengbon

Homework Statement

a car traveling due east on a straight road and accelerates at a constant rate for 10(s) increasing its velocity from rest to 40 m/s. It then travels at a constant velocity for 5s and accelerates at a steady rate for the next 5s to a velocity of 20m/s. It travels at this velocity for 10s and then accelerates rapidly to a stop at a time of 2s. What is the total distance traveled by the car?

All I know is, the answer NEEDS TO BE 770m. I'm trying to find the soltuion :(

Homework Equations

none /:)?

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried solving it first by drawing a diagram and then , paired up (40 m/s, 10s), (40m/s,5s) , (20m/s,5s), (20m/s,10s), (v=?,2s)

then, I solved for the acceleration for each with V=Vo + at. after which, I solved for each of their distances with V(^2) = Vo(^2) + 2ad.

for example,

G: 40 m/s , 10s

V = Vo+ at
40 = 0 + a(10)
a = 4 m/s^2

V^2 = Vo2 + 2ad
1600 = 0 + 2(4)d
d = 200 m

I did the same thing with all the others and after reaching (20 m/s,10s), I got 900. I stopped there and didn't solve further cause I thought I wouldn't get the right answer anymore even if I did solve for (v=?,2s) .

Can someone please guide me? :( I need to find out how to solve this because it would most likely be in the exam I need to pass just days away :( It looked simple at first but I'm going crazy solving it o_O

Physics news on Phys.org
Do you double-check your calculation? If yes but you still have wrong answer, please post your full solution.

Draw the time-velocity graph.
To find the total distance traveled by the car, find the area bounded by the graph with x-axis. It contains 2 triangles, two rectangles and one trapezium.

how do I draw a time-velocity graph :((? I'm sorry but I really don't know how to -___-

ApexOfDE said:
Do you double-check your calculation? If yes but you still have wrong answer, please post your full solution.

I did and I'm sure It's wrong :D I think my formulas is wrong

Are 2 of your accelerations negative? If not, then I believe this is where you are making the mistake. For example, if you are going from 40 m/s to 20 m/s in 5s, this will have a negative acceleration since you are decreasing in velocity.

Take time on x-axis and velocity in y-axis.
Answer to the first part is correct.
For second part, d2 = v*t.
For third part vi = 40 m/s and vf = 20 m/s. Do the calculation as in the first part.
repeat the same thing for reaming parts.

Last edited:
VelvetRebel said:
Are 2 of your accelerations negative? If not, then I believe this is where you are making the mistake. For example, if you are going from 40 m/s to 20 m/s in 5s, this will have a negative acceleration since you are decreasing in velocity.

when velocity changes and decreases does that mean it has a negative acceleration? because it's slowing down right?

rl.bhat said:
Take time on x-axis and velocity in y-axis.
Answer to the first part is correct.
Fro second part, d2 = v*t.
For third part vi = 40 m/s and vf = 20 m/s. Do the calculation as in the first part.
repeat the same thing for reaming parts.

I tried this and it worked :) thank you thank you!

1. How do you calculate the distance traveled by a car in a kinematics problem?

To calculate the distance traveled by a car, you will need to know the initial velocity, final velocity, and time elapsed. Use the formula d = (v0 + vf) * t / 2, where d is the distance, v0 is the initial velocity, vf is the final velocity, and t is the time elapsed.

2. What is the difference between distance and displacement in a kinematics problem?

The distance traveled by a car is the total length of the path it took, while displacement is the straight-line distance between the starting and ending points. Displacement takes into account direction, whereas distance does not.

3. Can the distance traveled by a car be negative in a kinematics problem?

No, the distance traveled by a car cannot be negative in a kinematics problem. Distance is a scalar quantity, meaning it only has magnitude and not direction. It is always a positive value.

4. How can you determine the average speed of a car in a kinematics problem?

To determine the average speed of a car, you will need to know the total distance traveled and the total time elapsed. Use the formula v = d / t, where v is the average speed, d is the distance traveled, and t is the time elapsed.

5. What are some real-life applications of distance traveled by a car in kinematics problems?

The concept of distance traveled by a car in kinematics problems is used in various real-life applications, such as calculating fuel efficiency, determining travel time, and analyzing traffic patterns. It is also important in designing and testing vehicles, as well as for navigation systems.