Understanding Frictional Forces in Rotational Motion

In summary, rotation with static friction is a type of motion where an object rotates around a fixed point while experiencing a frictional force. Static friction plays a critical role in rotational motion by providing the necessary force to maintain rotation. The amount of static friction depends on factors such as the coefficient of friction, normal force, and rotational speed and direction. To calculate the static friction in a rotational system, you will need to know the coefficient of friction, normal force, and radius of rotation. To reduce or increase static friction in rotational motion, you can adjust the coefficient of friction, normal force, or direction of rotation.
petitericeball

Homework Statement

A spool rests on a horizontal surface on which it rolls without slipping. The middle section of the spool has a radius r and is very light compared with the ends of the cylinder which have radius R and together have mass M. A string is wrapped around the middle section so you can pull horizontally (from the middle section's top side) with a force T.

2.1 Determine the total frictional force on the spool in terms of T, r and R.

2.2 What is the condition for the linear acceleration of the spool to exceed T/M?

2.3 Which direction does the friction force point when the acceleration is less than T/M? Which direction does the friction force point when the acceleration is greater than T/M?

Homework Equations

[tex]
\Sigma \vec{F} = m \vec{a}
[/tex]

[tex]
\Sigma T = I \alpha = \vec{F} R
[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

So, [tex]
T-\vec {F}_{friction} = m \vec{a}
[/tex]
(This T is force)

[tex]
\Sigma T = Tr + F_{friction}R
[/tex]

(Net Torque = Force*radius - Friction*Radius)

Since [tex]
[/tex]

[tex] \frac{1}{2}MR^2(a/R)=Tr + F_{friction}R [/tex]

[tex] ma \Rightarrow T-F_{friction} [/tex]

[tex]\frac{1}{2}(T-F_{friction})R=Tr+F_{friction}R [/tex]

Rearrange

[tex]TR-2Tr=2F_{friction}R+F_{friction}R[/tex]

I get this:
[tex]T(R-2r)/3R = F_{friction} [/tex]

Is this right? At first I thought that the negative sign would have canceled out somewhere and I had made a mistake, but it seems that it should be there, and shows that the [tex] \vec {F}_{friction} [/tex] opposes [tex] \vec {T} [/tex]2.2 What is the condition for the linear acceleration of the spool to exceed T/M?

So, this says that [tex]
A>T/M \Rightarrow
MA>T \Rightarrow
T-F_{friction}>T [/tex]

This says that in order for this to be true, friction must be doing positive work on the object, or there must be another force acting on the spool. I was also reading around, and there something about if you were walking, you push downward and backward, and the ground must oppose and push forward and upward. In this case, would that mean the force friction is in the same direction as the velocity?2.3 Which direction does the friction force point when the acceleration is less than T/M? Which direction does the friction force point when the acceleration is greater than T/M?

Similar to the previous question, if [tex]MA<T [/tex], then friction is pointing against motion. If [tex] MA>T [/tex], then friction is pointing along with the motion.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
petitericeball said:

So, [tex]
[/tex]
(This T is force)

[tex]
\Sigma T = Tr - F_{friction}R
[/tex]

You assumed in your first equation that the the direction of friction is opposite to the direction of the pull. You have written the torque with respect to the center of mass, didn't you? than the torque of both forces point in the same clock-wise direction.

ehild

Thanks for the reply. Yes I did write the equations with respect to the center of mass, but didn't realize my mistake.

ehild said:
You assumed in your first equation that the the direction of friction is opposite to the direction of the pull. You have written the torque with respect to the center of mass, didn't you? than the torque of both forces point in the same clock-wise direction.
ehild

So if I change the - to a + sign, then the rest is correct?

[tex]

[/tex]

So I'm going to edit the original post to reflect these changes.

Also, I emailed one of the graders about the interpretation of the moment of inertia, and he said "Yes there is static friction. I believe that the way to interpret the next part is to imagine that a 2D disk with the center cut out where mass exists on all parts except at a radius less then r," so I must change my moment of inertia.

Last edited:
So, according to a site I found, the moment of inertia of a disk with the center cut out will be [tex] \frac{1}{2}M(r^2+R^2) [/tex] so I'll post the revised results here along with the corrections from earlier.

So, [tex]
[/tex]
(This T is force)

[tex]
[/tex]

(Net Torque = Force*radius - Friction*Radius)

Since [tex]
[/tex]

[tex] \frac{1}{2}M(r^2 + R^2)(a/R)=Tr + F_{friction}R [/tex]

[tex] ma \Rightarrow T-F_{friction} [/tex]

[tex]\frac{1}{2}(T-F_{friction})(r^2+R^2)(\frac{1}{R})=Tr+F_{friction}R [/tex]

Rearrange
[tex]TR^2 +Tr^2-F_{friction}R^2-F_{friction}r^2=2TrR+2F_{friction}r^2[/tex]
[tex]T(R^2-2TrR+r^2)=3F_{friction}R^2+F_{friction}r^2[/tex]

And I end with this:

[tex] \frac{T(R-r)^2}{(3R^2+r^2)}=F_{friction} [/tex]

Last edited:
It seems all right,

ehild

Okay thanks a bunch. :)

1. What is rotation with static friction?

Rotation with static friction is a type of motion where an object rotates around a fixed point, while experiencing a frictional force that prevents slipping or sliding. This type of motion is commonly found in systems such as gears, wheels, and pulleys.

2. How does static friction affect rotation?

Static friction plays a critical role in rotational motion by providing the necessary force to maintain the rotation. Without static friction, objects would slip or slide instead of rotating, making it difficult to control or predict their movements.

3. What factors affect the amount of static friction in rotational motion?

The amount of static friction in rotation depends on several factors, including the coefficient of friction between two surfaces, the normal force (perpendicular force) applied to the object, and the rotational speed and direction of the object. Additionally, the surface roughness and temperature can also affect the amount of static friction.

4. How can I calculate the static friction in a rotational system?

To calculate the static friction in a rotational system, you will need to know the coefficient of friction between the surfaces, the normal force applied to the object, and the radius of rotation. The formula for static friction in rotational motion is F = μN, where F is the static friction force, μ is the coefficient of friction, and N is the normal force.

5. How can I reduce or increase static friction in rotational motion?

To reduce static friction in rotational motion, you can decrease the coefficient of friction between two surfaces by using lubricants or smoother materials. Additionally, increasing the normal force or changing the direction of rotation can also reduce static friction. To increase static friction, you can do the opposite, such as increasing the coefficient of friction or decreasing the normal force.