Obtain transfer function of a system and simulate it with a PID controller

In summary, the conversation discusses different methods for tuning a PID controller, either online or offline with a systems' transfer function. The possibility of system non-linearity is mentioned. The first approach suggested is to use the controller on the system itself, but there are concerns about the accuracy of the simulation. The use of Simulink in Matlab is also mentioned, specifically for generating a sine or cosine wave with increasing frequency. The use of a chirp command is suggested for this purpose.
cristian1500
I want to tune my PID controller. For this I could either do this on-line using the controller on the system, or I could try to obtain the systems' transfer function and then simulate it off-line together with the PID controller to tune it to the desired behavior. I suspect the system is non-linear but I'm not sure.

Do you have any experience with off-line simulations of a system control loop? Is it possible to obtain a systems' transfer function?

Here is a first approach to the problem:
http://www.facstaff.bucknell.edu/mastascu/econtrolhtml/Model/Model5.html

Engineering news on Phys.org
I can't image why you would NOT want to tune your controller on the system it's going to control. If you know the system well enough to produce some sort of input signal that simulates it, why not just enter the parameter data into the controller then run your system and see how well you really knew it.

I would use simulink in matlab.

can anyone tell me how can i generate a sine or cos wave signal with increasing frequency as the simulation time proceeds

You mean a chirp?
Using what software? In Matlab you would -not surprisingly- use the "chirp" command...

@f95toli: thanks for ur reply
using simulink!
i know we can use a chirp for cosine ,but how can i change the amplitude of the wave
and i also need to genrate a similar sine wave with increasing freq and constant amplitude
can you help me out

1. How do you obtain the transfer function of a system?

The transfer function of a system can be obtained through mathematical modeling or experimental data. In mathematical modeling, the system's equations are analyzed to determine the relationship between its input and output. In experimental data, the input and output of the system are measured and analyzed to determine the transfer function.

2. What is a transfer function and why is it important?

A transfer function is a mathematical representation of the relationship between the input and output of a system. It is important because it allows us to understand and predict the behavior of the system, and it is a crucial component in designing control systems such as PID controllers.

3. What is a PID controller and how does it work?

A PID (Proportional-Integral-Derivative) controller is a feedback control system that uses a combination of proportional, integral, and derivative actions to adjust the input to a system in order to control its output. The proportional action responds to the current error between the desired and actual output, the integral action responds to the accumulated error over time, and the derivative action responds to the rate of change of the error.

4. How do you simulate a system with a PID controller?

Simulating a system with a PID controller involves using a computer program or software to model the system and its transfer function, and then implementing the PID controller's equations to calculate the input necessary to achieve the desired output. The simulation can be run multiple times with different PID controller parameters to optimize the system's performance.

5. What are the benefits of using a PID controller in a system?

PID controllers offer several benefits, including improved system stability, faster response time, reduced error between the desired and actual output, and the ability to handle changes in the system's dynamics. They are widely used in various industries for their simplicity, versatility, and effectiveness in controlling systems.