Can anyone recommmend good elementary Algebra and Geometry books?

In summary, the person is looking for recommendations on math textbooks and asks for help from a friend and Physics Forums. They clarify that they do not plan on selling their gallbladder to buy a math book and are open to buying used books online. Other readers suggest looking for textbooks at the local library or bookstore and mention specific titles for elementary algebra and geometry. They also remind the person to check a previous thread for more recommendations.
LogicalAcid
I want to teach myself this, and I have a friend that is captain of his math team to help me, and Physics Forums as well. Please used, I don't plan on selling my gallbladder to buy a math book. They don't have to necessarily be textbooks, just have the same way of teaching (problems to work out, examples, etc).

Thanks.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Isn't this the third post you've made about this? I'm pretty sure people gave you recommendations in the previous post too.

JonF said:
Isn't this the third post you've made about this? I'm pretty sure people gave you recommendations in the previous post too.

No sir, those were only a few. They were not at my local library/book store.

harold jacobs, algebra, geometry.

try online used bookstores like ABEbooks.

For elementary algebra, consider Introductory Algebra and Intermediate Algebra by Lial/Hornsby/McGinnis. You don't need the current edition (9th). Just get an older edition for cheap.

Honestly there doesn’t seem to be a huge difference between elementary algebra and geometry text. Typically algebra at that level is developed the same across the board with similar exercises. I’m sure any of the algebra or geometry textbooks your library has will be fine. If you are concerned post the name of the textbook your library has and I’m sure someone will be able to give you a review.

1. What are some popular elementary Algebra and Geometry books?

Some popular elementary Algebra and Geometry books include "Algebra Essentials Practice Workbook with Answers" by Chris McMullen and "Geometry: A Comprehensive Course" by Dan Pedoe.

2. What are the key features to look for in a good elementary Algebra and Geometry book?

A good elementary Algebra and Geometry book should have clear explanations, plenty of practice problems, and visual aids such as diagrams and graphs to help with understanding. It should also include an answer key or solutions manual for reference.

3. Are there any recommended books specifically for self-study?

Yes, there are several books specifically designed for self-study, such as "The Complete Idiot's Guide to Algebra" by W. Michael Kelley and "Geometry Workbook For Dummies" by Mark Ryan. These books often include step-by-step explanations and tips for independent learning.

4. How do I know if a book is suitable for my level of understanding?

It's important to choose a book that matches your current level of understanding. Look for books that are labeled as "beginner" or "introductory" if you are new to Algebra and Geometry. If you have some background knowledge, you may want to choose a more advanced book or one that covers specific topics you are interested in.

5. Are there any online resources for finding recommended Algebra and Geometry books?

Yes, there are many online resources for finding recommended Algebra and Geometry books. Some popular websites for book recommendations include Goodreads, Amazon, and Barnes and Noble. You can also check out online forums and communities dedicated to math education for suggestions from other educators and students.