Does applying arccos() to both sides of an inequality preserve its relation?

In summary, the conversation discusses the effect of taking the arccos() on both sides of an equation with the parameters β and γ. It is concluded that the relational operator changes from ≤ to ≥ if the parameters are within the range of [0,π). It is also mentioned that it is not possible to keep β on the right side and maintain the relational operator as ≤ without replacing β with a decreasing function.
junaidnawaz
Please help me to confirm, weather the following step is correct

[tex] |\gamma| \leq \cos (\beta) [/tex]
[tex] \arccos (|\gamma|) \leq \beta [/tex]

does taking the arccos() on both sides of equation changes the relational operator??

Mathematics news on Phys.org
welcome to pf!

hi junaidnawaz! welcome to pf! :smile:

(have a beta: β and a gamma: γ and a ≤ :wink:)

arccos is defined as being in [0,π)

so long as β is also in [0,π), your equations are the same (because cos is monotone in that region, and therefore so is arccos) :smile:

Thx v much for your reply.

in my case, the range of parameters is as,
[tex] 0 \leq \beta \leq \pi /2 [/tex]
[tex]-1 \leq \gamma \leq +1 [/tex]

by taking arccos() on both-sides, would it change the operator (from [tex] \leq[/tex] to [tex] \geq[/tex] ) or would it remain same ??

junaidnawaz said:
by taking arccos() on both-sides, would it change the operator (from [tex] \leq[/tex] to [tex] \geq[/tex] ) or would it remain same ??

oh, i missed that! :rolleyes:

yes, cos is decreasing, so the ≤ changes to ≥ :smile:

(but, eg, sin is increasing, so the ≤ would stay the same :wink:)

Thank you.

if
[tex] |\gamma| \leq \cos( \beta ) [/tex]

then

[tex] x \leq \beta[/tex]

can i find "x", by keeping the RHS fixed to [tex] \beta[/tex]

is this possible to find x ?? by keeping RHS and relation operator the same ??

sorry, i don't understand …

isn't x just |γ| ? :confused:

[tex] |\gamma| \leq \cos ( \beta ) [/tex]

When I take arccos() on both sides, it becomes

[tex] \arccos( |\gamma| ) \geq \beta [/tex]

however, i want to keep [tex] \beta [/tex] on right side, and i want to keep the relational operator as [tex] \leq [/tex], i.e.,

[tex] x \leq \beta [/tex]

what would be x ??

I wounder if its not a stupid question ... :P

junaidnawaz said:
however, i want to keep [tex] \beta [/tex] on right side, and i want to keep the relational operator as [tex] \leq [/tex], i.e.,

[tex] x \leq \beta [/tex]

that's not possible (unless you replace β by some decreasing function of β, such as 1/β or -β)

Thank you :)

1. What are trigonometric inequalities?

Trigonometric inequalities are mathematical expressions that involve trigonometric functions, such as sine, cosine, and tangent, and use comparison symbols like greater than, less than, and equal to. They represent relationships between the values of these functions and can be solved using algebraic techniques.

2. How are trigonometric inequalities used in real life?

Trigonometric inequalities are used in fields such as physics, engineering, and astronomy to model and analyze real-world situations. They can be used to calculate distances, angles, and other measurements in various applications, such as navigation, architecture, and surveying.

3. What is the process for solving trigonometric inequalities?

The process for solving trigonometric inequalities involves identifying the trigonometric function and comparison symbol, applying algebraic techniques to isolate the variable, and using the unit circle or a graphing calculator to find the solution set. It is important to also consider any restrictions on the domain of the function.

4. What are some common mistakes when solving trigonometric inequalities?

Some common mistakes when solving trigonometric inequalities include forgetting to consider the domain restrictions, using incorrect algebraic techniques, and forgetting to check the solution set for extraneous solutions. It is also important to remember to convert angles to the appropriate unit (degrees or radians) when using a calculator.

5. How can I improve my skills in solving trigonometric inequalities?

The best way to improve your skills in solving trigonometric inequalities is through practice. You can find many resources online, such as practice problems and video tutorials, to help you understand the concepts and develop your problem-solving skills. It is also helpful to review the properties of trigonometric functions and the algebraic techniques used to solve inequalities.