Mathematical Logic by Cori and Lascar: Incomplete proof of Lemma 1.9?

In summary, the conversation discusses the proof of Lemma 1.9 from the book "Mathematical Logic" by Rene Cori and Daniel Lascar. The proof is divided into three parts, and part 2 shows that o[\neg F] \geq c[\neg F] for any propositional formula F. However, it is argued that this cannot be proven for formulas containing parentheses or certain symbols until part 3. The concept of propositional formulas and variables is also mentioned. The use of lemma 1.6 in the proof through induction is also discussed.
omoplata
"Mathematical Logic" by Cori and Lascar: Incomplete proof of Lemma 1.9?

I have a question on the book "Mathematical Logic: Propositional calculus, Boolean Algebras, predicate calculus" by Rene Cori and Daniel Lascar.

Proof of Lemma 1.9 given on http://books.google.com/books?id=JB...tical logic cori&pg=PA15#v=onepage&q&f=false" is in three parts (bulleted list). Part 2 is where they prove that [itex]o[\neg F] \geq c[\neg F][/itex] for any propositional formula [itex]F[/itex]. [itex]o[\neg F][/itex] is the number of opening parentheses in [itex]\neg F[/itex] and [itex]c[\neg F][/itex] is the number of closing parentheses in [itex]\neg F[/itex].

My argument is that this cannot be proven YET for ANY formula [itex]F[/itex], because it hasn't been proven yet for formulas containing parentheses or the symbols [itex]\wedge , \vee , \Rightarrow , \Leftrightarrow[/itex]. That is done in part 3. Part 2 proof is only correct for formulas containing propositional variables (since part 1 proves [itex]o[\neg P] \geq c[\neg P][/itex] for any propositional variable [itex]P[/itex] ) and the symbol [itex]\neg[/itex].

Propositional formulas and propositional variables are defined in http://books.google.com/books?id=JB...atical logic cori&pg=PA9#v=onepage&q&f=false".

Am I correct or am I missing something?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org

Hi omoplata! :smile:

You basically apply lemma 1.6 here (sadly I cannot see the book past that point).

Hello micromass :smile:

Only page 13 is missing. I uploaded it to http://i1105.photobucket.com/albums/h359/jacare_omoplata/page13.jpg" .

Last edited by a moderator:

They haven't mentioned lemma 1.6 in the proof :/

omoplata said:
They haven't mentioned lemma 1.6 in the proof :/

No, they haven't, but that's what they're using. They said that the prove it through induction, and lemma 1.6 basically describes how you need to prove something through induction.

In your example, we have Y(F) to be the statement o(F)=c(F)...

Oh, OK. I get it now. Thanks.

1. What is the purpose of Lemma 1.9 in the book "Mathematical Logic" by Cori and Lascar?

The purpose of Lemma 1.9 is to provide a proof for a specific case of a larger theorem or proposition. It helps to simplify the proof process and make it more manageable.

2. What is the significance of the incomplete proof of Lemma 1.9 in the book?

The incomplete proof of Lemma 1.9 highlights the complexity of mathematical logic and the need for careful and rigorous reasoning. It also shows that even experienced mathematicians may encounter difficulties in proving certain theorems.

3. Can the proof of Lemma 1.9 be completed by the reader?

Yes, the reader is encouraged to try and complete the proof of Lemma 1.9. This can help to deepen their understanding of the concepts and techniques used in mathematical logic.

4. Are there any other sources or references that provide a complete proof of Lemma 1.9?

Yes, there may be other sources or references that provide a complete proof of Lemma 1.9. It is always recommended to consult multiple sources when studying a complex topic like mathematical logic.

5. How can I overcome challenges in understanding the incomplete proof of Lemma 1.9?

It is important to have a strong foundation in mathematical logic and related concepts before attempting to understand the incomplete proof of Lemma 1.9. It may also be helpful to seek guidance from a mathematics professor or to discuss the proof with peers who are also studying the subject.