Volume 2 of Burckel's Book on Complex Analysis

In summary, The conversation discusses the availability of Volume 2 of Robert Burckel's book, An Introduction to Classical Complex Analysis. Although the introduction of Volume 1 mentions the contents and table of contents of Volume 2, the book is not available from any major online used book service and is not listed in the Library of Congress. However, the author is still on the faculty at Kansas State University and may be contacted for more information. The person asking the question also suggests using charm when contacting professors for information.
Petek
Gold Member
I have a copy of Robert Burckel's An Introduction to Classical Complex Analysis, Volume 1. What happened to volume 2? The introduction to volume 1 contains a description of the contents of volume 2. It also contains the table of contents of volume 2. The beginning of volume 1 lists some of the other math books available from the same publisher (Academic Press) and volume 2 is on that list. However, as far as I can tell, volume 2 doesn't exist. It isn't available from any major online used book service. It isn't listed in the Library of Congress (although volume 1 is present). Does anyone know the story behind volume 2?

Physics news on Phys.org
He's still on the faculty at Kansas State U., according to the website, if that helps.

jcw99 said:
He's still on the faculty at Kansas State U., according to the website, if that helps.

Thanks for your reply. I found prof. Burckel's email address, but decided to post the question here rather than ask him directly. I don't know him and don't know how he would react to being contacted by some random person on the internet.

I have generally found that professors who have authored books will be happy to respond to an email that starts something like:

"Dear Prof. ______,

I greatly enjoyed your textbook ______ Volume 1; however, I have been unable to find any copies of Volume 2. If you have time, could you tell me if it has been published and, if so, where I might purchase a copy?"

Throw in some book-specific compliments if they make sense to you.

Charm is the most important tool of any career. Learn to use it!

Thank you for bringing this to my attention. I am not familiar with the specific details of the publication of Burckel's book. However, it is not uncommon for a planned volume of a book to never be published due to various reasons such as changes in the author's plans, lack of demand, or financial constraints. It is also possible that volume 2 was published under a different title or by a different publisher.

I would suggest reaching out to the publisher, Academic Press, or the author, Robert Burckel, to inquire about the status of volume 2. They may be able to provide more information on its publication or the reasons for its absence. Additionally, you can search for any updates or announcements from the author or publisher regarding the publication of volume 2.

In the meantime, there are likely other resources available for complex analysis that can supplement volume 1 of Burckel's book. I recommend exploring other textbooks or online resources to continue your studies in this subject. Best of luck in your research.

1. What is the main focus of Volume 2 of Burckel's Book on Complex Analysis?

The main focus of Volume 2 of Burckel's Book on Complex Analysis is the theory of analytic functions of several complex variables.

2. What are some key topics covered in Volume 2?

Some key topics covered in Volume 2 include Cauchy's integral formula, power series and Taylor series, Laurent series, the Cauchy-Riemann equations, and the Cauchy integral theorem.

3. Is Volume 2 suitable for beginners in complex analysis?

No, Volume 2 is not suitable for beginners as it assumes a strong foundation in single variable complex analysis and moves on to more advanced topics.

4. Are there any real-world applications of the concepts discussed in Volume 2?

Yes, the theory of analytic functions of several complex variables has applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics.

5. Is Volume 2 a standalone book or does it require knowledge from Volume 1?

While Volume 2 does build on some concepts from Volume 1, it can also be used as a standalone book for those with a strong understanding of single variable complex analysis.