Applying Torque Knowledge to Real-Life Problem

In summary, the conversation is about understanding how to apply torque to a real-life problem. The individual has provided a picture and asks for clarification on the location of the torque vector. They are advised to take the moments (torques) about the axle and to place the torque arrow at the center of the barrel. The conversation also includes a question about the direction of the torque, which is determined to be along the x-axis, facing the positive z-axis. The conversation concludes with confirmation that the torque vector should be placed at the center of the barrel.
Teachme
Hello. I am trying to learn how to apply my knowledge of torque to a real life problem but I'm not quite sure how. I have attached a picture describing what I am trying to do. I would be very appreciative if anyone would take the time to take a look at what I have done and see if my view of torque is correct. Mostly just want to know if I have put my torque vector in the right location I have included drawings along with my questions that should make understanding easier.

Please don't give me a Wikipedia link because that is useless for me. Iv'e read it a million times. I have tried countless sources, but I have found none that use real applications.

Please let me know if I can clarify anything.

Thank you very much for reading.

Attachments

• Barrel project.jpg
    Barrel project.jpg
    19.3 KB · Views: 601
Engineering news on Phys.org
Hello Teachme! :smile:
Teachme said:
… just want to know if I have put my torque vector in the right location

Right direction :smile:, but wrong line.

torque is proportional to rate of change of angular momentum,

and angular momentum is always in the direction of the axis of the cylinder, so torque is also. :wink:

But there is an unknown reaction force on the axle, so to avoid this coming into the equations, you will always take moments (torques) about the axle, so that's where your torque arrow should be shown. :wink:

Mess up

Last edited:
Oh never mind. I see it is suppose to be in the center of the barrel. Correct?

Hi Max! :smile:
Teachme said:
So I have the right direction to where the torque extends, but would it be correct to say the torque is tangent to the barrel so facing the positive z-axis in this case?

I don't understand.

Your picture showed it along the x-axis, not the z-axis.

And as i said, it should be along the axle (the centre of the barrel).

Teachme said:
Oh never mind. I see it is suppose to be in the center of the barrel. Correct?

Yes. :smile:

1. What is torque and how does it apply to real-life problems?

Torque is a measure of the turning or twisting force applied to an object. It is calculated by multiplying the force applied by the distance from the pivot point. In real-life problems, torque is important for understanding how objects rotate and move, such as in machines or vehicles.

2. How can torque be used to solve real-life problems?

Torque can be used to solve real-life problems by understanding its effects on objects. For example, if a car is not turning properly, knowing the torque applied to the wheels can help diagnose the issue. Additionally, torque can be used to optimize the design of machines and structures, ensuring they can withstand the forces applied to them.

3. What are some common examples of torque in real-life?

Some common examples of torque in real-life include opening a door, turning a steering wheel, tightening screws, and using a wrench to loosen or tighten bolts. In all of these examples, torque is applied to an object to cause it to rotate or move.

4. How does torque differ from other forces?

Torque differs from other forces in that it is a rotational force, whereas other forces tend to act in a linear direction. Torque is also dependent on the distance from the pivot point, whereas other forces may not be affected by distance. Additionally, torque is often used to describe the force applied to rotating objects, while other forces may be used to describe the motion of objects in other ways.

5. How can understanding torque benefit everyday life?

Understanding torque can benefit everyday life by allowing individuals to make informed decisions about how to interact with objects. For example, knowing the appropriate amount of torque to apply when tightening a bolt can prevent damage or injury. Additionally, understanding torque can also help individuals troubleshoot and fix common household problems, such as a loose doorknob or a jammed bicycle chain.