Find the constant k that will make this piecewise continuous.

In summary: If you want the function continuous, you need both pieces to match at 0, which means you needf(0) = k = lim as x-> 0+ (tan kx)/ (2x).But the right side has a limit as x goes to 0 only if k= 2. That is, if k= 2, the limit is 1/2. If k is not 2, the limit does not exist.I suspect you intended "Find a value for the constant k that will make this function continuous at x= 0". In that case, you must havef(0)= k= lim as x goes to 0- (x-1
kaderyo94

Homework Statement

Find a value for the constant k that will make the function below continuous:

[itex]f(x)=\frac{x-1}{x^2-1}\ \text{if}\ x<=0[/itex]
[itex]f(x)=\frac{tankx}{2x}~\text{if}~x>0[/itex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I've tried the only solution I can think of, which is to make
[itex]\frac{x-1}{x^2-1} = \frac{tankx}{2x}[/itex]

And then I plug in 0 to try and get k, but I end up with 1 = 0/0. I know you are supposed to do something to the second equation to remedy this, but I cannot figure out what. I am fairly new to Calculus, so some help would be greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
kaderyo94 said:

Homework Statement

Find a value for the constant k that will make the function below continuous:

[itex]f(x)=\frac{x-1}{x^2-1}\ \text{if}\ x<=0[/itex]

[itex]f(x)=\frac{\tan kx}{2x}~\text{if}~x>0[/itex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I've tried the only solution I can think of, which is to make
[itex]\frac{x-1}{x^2-1} = \frac{\tan kx}{2x}[/itex]

And then I plug in 0 to try and get k, but I end up with 1 = 0/0. I know you are supposed to do something to the second equation to remedy this, but I cannot figure out what. I am fairly new to Calculus, so some help would be greatly appreciated.
Hello kaderyo94. Welcome to PF !

Each piece of this piecewise-defined function has one or more discontinuities in its portion of the domain of the overall function. You can't "fix" those discontinuities by a choice of k.

I suspect the problem is: Find a value for the constant k that will make the function continuous at x = 0, which is where the two "pieces" join.

If that's the problem to be solved, then:

What must be true for the following limit to exist?
[itex]\displaystyle \lim_{x\to\,0}\,f(x)[/itex]​
Then, how must that limit be related to f(0) ?

You titled this "Find the constant k that will make this piecewise continuous" but then said "Find a value for the constant k that will make this function continous". Those are very different!

1. What is a piecewise continuous function?

A piecewise continuous function is a function that is defined differently on different intervals or pieces of its domain. These pieces are typically connected at their endpoints to create a continuous function overall.

2. Why is it important to find the constant k in a piecewise continuous function?

Finding the constant k allows us to determine the value of the function at the points where the pieces connect. This is essential in analyzing and graphing piecewise continuous functions.

3. How do you determine the value of k in a piecewise continuous function?

To find the value of k, you must set the two pieces of the function equal to each other and solve for k. Once you have the value of k, you can plug it back into either piece of the function to find the value of the function at the points where the pieces connect.

4. Can a piecewise continuous function have more than two pieces?

Yes, a piecewise continuous function can have any number of pieces. The more pieces it has, the more complex the function may be.

5. How do you graph a piecewise continuous function?

To graph a piecewise continuous function, you must first graph each piece of the function separately. Then, you must plot points at the endpoints of each piece and connect them to create a continuous graph. It may also be helpful to label the value of k at the points where the pieces connect.