Where can I get help with Windows XP?

• Thread starter pmb_phy
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Windows
In summary: Have you tried to boot from the windows installation disc?In summary, Pete's computer is fried and he can only boot up in safe mode. He has tried to format and reinstall Windows, but that hasn't worked. He's also tried to boot from the Windows installation disc, but that didn't work either.
pmb_phy
My computer is fried. I can only boot up in safe mode. Otherwise as soon as I login to my computer after bootup the screen goes black, then a blue screen comes on saying there is a problem and it starts doing a memory dump to disk. I've tried fixing this all day long but am at a loss.

Where can I go for help? Any ideas how to fix this?

Pete

Computer science news on Phys.org
Have you tried to format and reinstall windows?

Last edited:
Where you could go for help?
I guess you could go to a psychiatric hospital, but i do not think that is where your problem lies :)

nah, just kidding. Just do what dduardo said, format the drive (or just the partition) that Windows boots on (Where to the ARC path indicates.) (I guess that you have it on C: )
If that does not work then, too bad :) You will probably be away from your computer for a couple of weeks then.

dduardo said:
Have you tried to format and reinstall windows?
How do I do that? I reinstalled windows but that really isn't the same. I wanted to wipe my C disk clean and reinstall but I don't know how.

My system stuff is on drive C. My data is on drive D. Can I wipe C without touching D? I assume/hope so since this is why I made two partitions.

Thanks

Pete

Boot from the Win XP cd and go through the installer. You should reach a section for partiioning. Just delete the C drive and recreate it. Then select that drive for windows to install on. Then just go through the rest of the procedure. You'll probable need to re-activate, which I would assume is easy, but I've never done it. This whole procedure is no more difficult than installing any other program.

dduardo said:
Boot from the Win XP cd and go through the installer. You should reach a section for partiioning. Just delete the C drive and recreate it. Then select that drive for windows to install on. Then just go through the rest of the procedure. You'll probable need to re-activate, which I would assume is easy, but I've never done it. This whole procedure is no more difficult than installing any other program.
Have you ever tried this? I did and I didn't see a section for partitioning.

But here goes. If I disappear from existence then you'll know what happened. :rofl:

Pete

It didn't work. I can't figure out how to boot from the CD.

How do I do that?

Can't I simply format the C drive and then boot?

Pete

I've installed win xp many times.

To boot from the cd you need to set the boot sequence in your bios to read your cdrom first before reading the hard drive.

The partition stage should look like this:

http://www.blackviper.com/Articles/OS/InstallXPPro/images/image1_9.html

Last edited by a moderator:
Okey dokey! All done! Muchus Gracias!

Pete

1. Where can I find technical support for Windows XP?

Microsoft no longer provides technical support for Windows XP as it reached its end of life in 2014. However, there are many third-party companies that offer technical support and assistance for Windows XP. You can also find helpful resources and forums online where users share tips and solutions for common issues.

2. Can I still get updates for Windows XP?

No, Microsoft no longer releases updates for Windows XP. This means that your computer may be vulnerable to security threats and may not be able to run certain programs or software. It is highly recommended to upgrade to a newer operating system such as Windows 10.

3. How do I troubleshoot common issues with Windows XP?

There are several resources available to help you troubleshoot common issues with Windows XP. You can use the built-in Help and Support feature, search online for solutions, or consult with a technical support professional. It is also important to regularly maintain and update your system to prevent potential issues.

4. Is there a cost for getting help with Windows XP?

The cost for getting help with Windows XP may vary depending on the type of support you need and the company you choose to work with. Some third-party companies may offer free resources and forums, while others may charge a fee for their services. It is important to research and compare different options before deciding on one.

5. Can I upgrade from Windows XP to a newer operating system?

Yes, it is possible to upgrade from Windows XP to a newer operating system such as Windows 10. However, this may require purchasing a new license and hardware upgrades to ensure compatibility. It is recommended to consult with a technical support professional before attempting to upgrade your operating system.