Pendulum Problem: Solving for Angular Velocity (ω)

• Thread starter vysero
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Pendulum
In summary, the problem involves a small object of mass m, held horizontally at a distance r from a fixed support and then released. It requires finding the angular velocity, ω, of the mass when it reaches the lowest point of its swing. The solution involves using the formula PEi + KEi = PEf + KEf and using trigonometry to find the change in height of the pendulum. It is a conservation of energy problem and the correct answer is (2g/r)^1/2=w. The assumption that r is equal to the height of the pendulum is reasonable and the answer agrees with the one in the book.
vysero

Homework Statement

A small object of mass m, on the end of a light rod, is held horizontally at a distance r from a fixed support. The object is then released. What is the angular velocity, ω, of the mass when the object is at the lowest point of its swing?

Homework Equations

This is my problem. I believe it is a conservation of energy problem so:
PEi + KEi = PEf + KEf however I am not sure what the angular equivalent to mgh is.

The Attempt at a Solution

mgr = (1/2)(mr)^2(w)^2
2g = r(w)^2
(2g/r)^1/2=w

Which is the correct answer but I am not sure about my math or my formula, did I do this problem the right way or did I just get lucky?

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, there isn't really an angular equivalent to mgh, you just need to use some trigonometry to find the change in height of the pendulum.

In this case it's really easy since the pendulum mass starts horizontal and they want to know its angular velocity at the bottom of its swing. Therefore it's trivial to say that the change in height is equal to the length of the pendulum.

SHISHKABOB said:
Well, there isn't really an angular equivalent to mgh, you just need to use some trigonometry to find the change in height of the pendulum.

In this case it's really easy since the pendulum mass starts horizontal and they want to know its angular velocity at the bottom of its swing. Therefore it's trivial to say that the change in height is equal to the length of the pendulum.

So I did do this problem right? I assumed that r or the length of the pendulum was h.

yeah that's a reasonable assumption to make, and if your answer agrees with the one in the book (I think that's what you said) then yes you did the problem right

I would say that you have correctly used the conservation of energy principle to solve this problem. Your formula for the final angular velocity, ω, is also correct. The angular equivalent to mgh is 1/2(mr^2)ω^2, also known as the rotational kinetic energy. Your math and formula are both correct, so you have solved the problem correctly. However, I would suggest showing more steps in your solution to make it easier for others to follow and understand your reasoning. Additionally, it would be helpful to include units in your equations to make sure your calculations are dimensionally consistent. Good job on solving the problem!

1. What is a pendulum problem?

A pendulum problem is a physics problem that involves a swinging pendulum, which is a weight suspended from a pivot point that can freely move back and forth.

2. How do you solve for angular velocity (ω) in a pendulum problem?

To solve for angular velocity in a pendulum problem, you need to use the equation ω = √(g/L) where g is the acceleration due to gravity and L is the length of the pendulum. You also need to know the initial angle of the pendulum and the height at which it is released.

3. What is the significance of solving for angular velocity in a pendulum problem?

Solving for angular velocity in a pendulum problem helps us understand the motion and behavior of a swinging pendulum. It also allows us to calculate the period of the pendulum, which is the time it takes for one full swing.

4. Are there any real-world applications of solving for angular velocity in pendulum problems?

Yes, pendulum problems and the calculation of angular velocity have many real-world applications. For example, pendulums are used in clocks to keep time, in seismometers to detect earthquakes, and in amusement park rides to create thrilling swinging motions.

5. What are some common mistakes to avoid when solving for angular velocity in a pendulum problem?

Some common mistakes to avoid when solving for angular velocity in a pendulum problem include using the wrong equation, not properly converting units, and not taking into account the initial angle of the pendulum. It is also important to make sure that the length of the pendulum is measured from the pivot point to the center of mass of the weight, not the top of the weight.