Divergence Theorem on a surface without boundary

In summary, the divergence theorem is a theorem that states that if a function is continuous on a surface with boundary, then its divergence is zero on the surface.
lmedin02
Reading through Spivak's Calculus on Manifolds and some basic books in Analysis I notice that the divergence theorem is derived for surfaces or manifolds with boundary. I am trying to understand the case where I can apply the divergence theorem on a surface without boundary.

Physics news on Phys.org
There is always a boundary, it is an important part. The are times when the boundary (in whole or part) is at infinity, cancels due to symmetry, the function is constant, the integral is known, or some other situation; then the integral over the boundary might be replaced by some other term.

In 3 space every Surface that has no edges -e.g. a sphere or a torus - is the boundary of a solid. This is difficult to prove though.

On a manifold, one can have surfaces that are not boudaries of any solid but a divergence free fluid flows across them with non-zero total flux. For a one dimensional example take a circle on a torus that loops through the ring. The perpendicular flow has non-zero flux and is divergence free.

Last edited:
i would answer your question by saying that every manifold has a boundary, but the boundary may be the empty set. hence on a manifold without boundary, i.e. with empty boundary, the theorem still holds, but one side, the integral over the boundary, is zero.

this yields the "residue" theorem on a compact riemann surface, i.e. for every meromorphic one form on a compact riemann surface, the sum of its residues, i.e. the integral over the boundary, is zero.

that is avery useful application of the theorem. (the divergence theorem is a version of green's theorem used here, or stokes thorem...)

mathwonk said:
i would answer your question by saying that every manifold has a boundary, but the boundary may be the empty set. hence on a manifold without boundary, i.e. with empty boundary, the theorem still holds, but one side, the integral over the boundary, is zero.

this yields the "residue" theorem on a compact riemann surface, i.e. for every meromorphic one form on a compact riemann surface, the sum of its residues, i.e. the integral over the boundary, is zero.

that is avery useful application of the theorem. (the divergence theorem is a version of green's theorem used here, or stokes thorem...)

This confuses me. To calculate the residues one needs to excise disks around the singularities of the meromorphic 1 form. One then integrates over a surface with a finite number if circles as its boundary. No?

it may be that the proof involves surfaces with boundary, but the resulting statement applies to surfaces without boundary.

What is the Divergence Theorem on a surface without boundary?

The Divergence Theorem on a surface without boundary is a mathematical theorem that relates the flow of a vector field through a closed surface to the behavior of the vector field within the surface. It states that the outward flux of a vector field through a closed surface is equal to the volume integral of the divergence of the vector field within the surface.

What is the significance of a surface without boundary in the Divergence Theorem?

A surface without boundary is significant in the Divergence Theorem because it allows for a complete and accurate calculation of the outward flux of a vector field. The theorem only applies to closed surfaces, meaning that they have no boundary or holes. This allows for a more comprehensive understanding of the behavior of the vector field within the surface.

How is the Divergence Theorem related to other mathematical concepts?

The Divergence Theorem is closely related to other mathematical concepts such as Green's Theorem, Stokes' Theorem, and the Fundamental Theorem of Calculus. These theorems all involve the calculation of a surface integral and can be seen as special cases of the Divergence Theorem.

What are some real-world applications of the Divergence Theorem on a surface without boundary?

The Divergence Theorem has many real-world applications, particularly in physics and engineering. It is used to calculate fluid flow through a closed surface, electric and magnetic flux through a surface, and to determine the rate of change of a physical quantity within a region.

Are there any limitations to the Divergence Theorem on a surface without boundary?

Yes, there are some limitations to the Divergence Theorem. It only applies to closed surfaces without boundary, so it cannot be used for surfaces with holes or boundaries. Additionally, the vector field must be sufficiently smooth for the theorem to be valid.