Can iPads be used as motion detectors for AP Physics labs?

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of iPads and other devices for teaching an AP Physics class. The speaker's lab is equipped with iPads instead of desktop computers, and they are looking for ways to connect physics devices to the iPads. The conversation suggests using accelerometers and motion sensors to measure velocity and distance, and notes that there are many apps available for this purpose. The speaker also considers using the iPads to collect data during a bus ride, and mentions the potential for using the camera for range finding.
tony873004
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I'll be teaching an AP Physics class in a few weeks. Usually labs are equiped with lots of desktop computers, to which I can add stuff like motion detectors: devices that can input velocities into the computer.

But my lab doesn't have computers. Rather, each student has an iPad. This might be an easy Google question, but I've come up blank so far. Is there ANY type of Physics devices that can connect to an iPad? Can anything other than an iPad charger connect to an iPad? Sorry, but I've been a Windows person all my life, and iPads have suddenly appeared in my life!

We have lots of cool Venier equipment that is pre-USB. Is there any way to make use of this stuff in a classroom with no computers and 1 iPad per student?

Any other iPad advice would be welcome too!

Physics news on Phys.org
Do you mean an accelerometer? Ipads have accelerometers onboard.

Thanks. I didn't know that!

Motion sensors usually feed a string of numbers into a spreadsheet indicating velocity or distance. So you can measure the velocity of a coffee filter as it drops, accelerates, and reaches terminal velocity.

My concern from looking at AP sample questions, is that they expect the students to be familiar with this equipment.

But 10 ideas just jumped into my mind knowing that they all possesses accelerometers. Can they ride to school on the bus while accumulating data? That would be cool to graph their commute.

I just checked on my Droid and there are literally thousands of apps available to play with the accelerometers. The very first one I tried datalogged it and emailed me a csv file (attached).

Attachments

• accelerometer_log.txt
    2.4 KB · Views: 451
Thanks. I just downloaded an app for my Android. It was neat to watch the z-value go from 1 g to 0 g as I dropped it a short distance onto my bed.

I don't know how open the OS is, but if you could get access to the camera, it has
a bunch of range finding stuff for the auto focus

What is a motion detector for iPad?

A motion detector for iPad is a device or app that uses the iPad's built-in sensors to detect and measure motion. This can include movements such as tilting, shaking, rotating, or walking.

How does a motion detector for iPad work?

A motion detector for iPad works by utilizing the device's accelerometer, gyroscope, and magnetometer sensors. These sensors measure changes in the iPad's position and movement, which are then translated into data that can be used for various purposes.

What are the benefits of using a motion detector for iPad?

The benefits of using a motion detector for iPad include the ability to track and analyze movement patterns, measure physical activity levels, and control games or apps using motion gestures. It can also be used in research or educational settings to collect data and conduct experiments.

Are there any limitations to using a motion detector for iPad?

While motion detectors for iPad can be useful, they do have some limitations. They may not be as accurate as dedicated motion tracking devices, and their range and sensitivity may be limited. Additionally, they may drain the iPad's battery more quickly when in use.

What are some popular applications of motion detectors for iPad?

Some popular applications of motion detectors for iPad include fitness and health tracking, gaming, virtual reality experiences, and educational activities. They can also be used for home automation, security systems, and accessibility features for individuals with disabilities.