Gear Logical Operations - What Can Gears Do?

In summary: The NOT gate in the video works by having one gear on the left side of the axle not moving, and the other gear on the right side of the axle moving. To make an OR gate, you would need two gears like this: one on the left side of the axle not moving, and the other on the right side of the axle moving.
GTeclips
Hello all.

Just a quick question about logical operations gears can preform. I know if you have a large gear turn a small gear, the center of the small gear will spin faster than the large. But are there any other logic operations that gears can preform?

Thank you for viewing.

Engineering news on Phys.org
GTeclips said:
Hello all.

Just a quick question about logical operations gears can preform. I know if you have a large gear turn a small gear, the center of the small gear will spin faster than the large. But are there any other logic operations that gears can preform?

Thank you for viewing.

Here is a wikipedia page with information and links about Mechanical Computers:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mechanical_computer

A good friend of mine at HP Labs had a lot of involvement in the investigation of the old Antikythera mechanism (astronomical calculator) referenced in that article.

You might also get some ideas from this website with mechanical animations -- you can sure do a lot with creative gear mechanism designs!

http://www.stumbleupon.com/su/1vAEqz

:smile:

Very neat! I found that second link of yours particularly fascinating! Thank you!

Another question comes to mind when I take a look at those mechanical computers. Is is possible to make logic gates such as NOT, OR and NAND out of just gears and levers and such?

GTeclips said:
Very neat! I found that second link of yours particularly fascinating! Thank you!

Another question comes to mind when I take a look at those mechanical computers. Is is possible to make logic gates such as NOT, OR and NAND out of just gears and levers and such?

Yep. Just use Google to search on Mechanical NAND Gate... :smile:

Very helpful! Thank you very much!

I just may have to find a way to tinker with these now...

GTeclips said:
Very helpful! Thank you very much!

I just may have to find a way to tinker with these now...

Glad to help. BTW, are you familiar with the hobby-scale 3D printers that are available now? You could use one of those to help you build up some demos and prototypes. :smile:

I appreciate the suggestion, but I don't think I could afford one of those, even if they are smaller and cheaper than their professional counterparts. But perhaps if I could get per-crafted mechanical parts...?

I've been doing many searches on mechanical logic gates, and I have a couple observations. 1: Most of the illustrations are Lego... I have nothing against Lego, but it would be nice to see a more professional example. 2: Nearly all of them involve levers rather than gears, and values "0" and "1" are represented by a poll either retracted or extended.

I will elaborate a bit one what I am looking for. There was one video I could find on what I am looking for, it is Lego though... "http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oqLBtKUvGHg".

Sorry for the Lego illustration, but it was the only one I could find. What I want is the value of "0" to be represented by the axle not spinning, and the value of "1" to be represent by the axle spinning, like in the video. Finally to my questions; how does this NOT gate in this video work, and how might one make an OR gate of similar style?

Sorry for the most hard to follow post. Thank you!

1. What are gears and how do they work?

Gears are mechanical devices with teeth that mesh together to transmit torque and rotation. They work by transferring energy from a power source to a load, changing the speed, direction, and torque of the rotation.

2. What are the different types of gears and their applications?

There are several types of gears, including spur gears, bevel gears, helical gears, worm gears, and more. Each type has its own unique design and application, such as spur gears for parallel shafts, bevel gears for intersecting shafts, and worm gears for high reduction ratios.

3. How do you calculate gear ratios?

Gear ratios can be calculated by dividing the number of teeth on the driven gear by the number of teeth on the driving gear. This will give you the gear ratio, which represents the speed and torque relationship between the two gears.

4. Can gears be used for more than just changing speed and direction?

Yes, gears can also be used for a variety of other functions, such as torque multiplication, load sharing, and indexing. They can also be combined with other mechanical components, like belts or chains, to create more complex gear systems.

5. How do you maintain and troubleshoot gear systems?

To maintain gear systems, it is important to regularly check for wear and tear, lubricate the gears, and replace any damaged or worn components. When troubleshooting, common issues to look for include misalignment, improper lubrication, and worn gears. It is also important to follow proper safety protocols when working with gears to avoid accidents.