Understanding the Heat Equation and its Practical Applications

In summary, the heat equation \frac{\partial u}{\partial x}=\frac{\partial^2 u}{\partial x^2} represents the rate at which heat accumulates at a point in a spatial distribution of temperature. This is determined by the rate of heat flow along the x-direction, which is proportional to the temperature gradient along x. The double partial \partial_{xx}u measures the rate of change of the temperature gradient, or the rate at which heat "accumulates" at a point. The shape of the temperature distribution is important, as spatial convexity leads to heat and a changing temperature in time. This is shown in the balance between the rate of heat flow in, the rate of heat flow out,
member 428835
given the heat equation [tex]\frac{\partial u}{\partial x}=\frac{\partial^2 u}{\partial x^2}[/tex]
what does [itex]\frac{\partial^2 u}{\partial x^2}[/itex] represent on a practical, physical level? I am confused because this is not time-space acceleration, but rather a temperature-spacial derivative.

thanks all!

Physics news on Phys.org
you're missing a time derivative,

[tex]\partial_tu=\partial_{xx}u[/tex].

We have the second partial of temperature in the spatial direction. One way to see this is, consider a local maximum in temperature in a spatial distribution of temp. Then all points nearby are warmer, so as time proceeds, the temp should increase. In other words, [itex]\partial_tu>0[/itex].

if you can understand this, i think you'll have a decent understanding of the idea behind the heat equation.

algebrat said:

[tex]\partial_tu=\partial_{xx}u[/tex].
thanks! i definitely meant to put a t not x on the lhs

algebrat said:
We have the second partial of temperature in the spatial direction. One way to see this is, consider a local maximum in temperature in a spatial distribution of temp. Then all points nearby are warmer, so as time proceeds, the temp should increase.
as time proceeds...i meant what does [itex]\partial_{xx}u[/itex] mean itself. i feel i don't understand this physical interpretation. i recognize [itex]\partial_{t}u[/itex] represents how temp changes as we change time and [itex]\partial_{x}u[/itex] is stating how temp changes if we change only the position, but holding time constant, what does the double partial [itex]\partial_{xx}u[/itex] represnt?

The rate of heat flow along x is proportional to the temperature gradient along x, which is ##\partial_x u##.

##\partial_{xx} u## measures the rate of change of the temperature gradient along x, which is the rate at which heat "accumulates" at a point (because more heat is floiwing towards the point from one side than is flowing away from the other side).

The rate at which the heat "accumulates" also measures the rate of change of temperature at the point, or ##\partial_t u##.

So the differential equation for the system is ##\partial_t u = K \partial_{xx} u## for some constant ##K##, and if you measure length and time in suitable units, you can make ##K = 1##.

joshmccraney said:
thanks! i definitely meant to put a t not x on the lhsas time proceeds...i meant what does [itex]\partial_{xx}u[/itex] mean itself. i feel i don't understand this physical interpretation. i recognize [itex]\partial_{t}u[/itex] represents how temp changes as we change time and [itex]\partial_{x}u[/itex] is stating how temp changes if we change only the position, but holding time constant, what does the double partial [itex]\partial_{xx}u[/itex] represnt?

Convexity. Heat flows in a region only if there is convexity in the spatial distribution of temp. Convexity is the second derivative, or in this case, convexity in the spatial direction is the second partial with respect to x.

I would associate it with the shape of the distribution. It is the second derivative, so what does this mean for a sine function? A quadratic equation? A straight line?

Are you okay on what u_xx means as far as the shape of u(t,x)? And the shape I correlate strongly with the idea that spatial convexity in the temperature leads to heat, that is, a changing temp in time.

I'm not sure where exactly your question is, please let us know.

As alephzero points out, this is one of the (rate of flow in) minus (rate of flow out) equals (rate of accumulation) balances. The rate that heat is flowing in the x-direction (the heat flux q) is given by [tex]q(x)=-k\frac{\partial T}{\partial x}[/tex]
If you consider a small element of the material lying along the the x-direction between x and x + Δx, then the rate of heat flow into the element at x is [itex]-k(\frac{\partial T}{\partial x})_x[/itex]; the rate of heat flow leaving the element at x + Δx is [itex]-k(\frac{\partial T}{\partial x})_{x+\Delta x}[/itex]. The rate of heat entering minus the rate of mass leaving is [itex]-k(\frac{\partial T}{\partial x})_x+k(\frac{\partial T}{\partial x})_{x+\Delta x}[/itex]. This is equal to the rate of heat accumulation within the element. An expression for the rate of heat accumulation within the element is related to the rate at which the temperature is rising:

[tex]rate\ of\ accumulation=\Delta x \rho C_p\frac{\partial T}{\partial t}[/tex]

where ρ is the material density and Cp is the heat capacity. If we set the rate of accumulation equal to the rate of heat flow in minus the rate of heat flow out, we obtain:
[tex]\Delta x \rho C_p\frac{\partial T}{\partial t}=-k(\frac{\partial T}{\partial x})_x+k(\frac{\partial T}{\partial x})_{x+\Delta x}[/tex]

Taking the limit as Δx approaches zero gives:

[tex]\frac{\partial T}{\partial t}=\kappa \frac{\partial^2 T}{\partial x^2}[/tex]

where [itex]\kappa[/itex] is called the thermal diffusivity.

algebrat said:

One way to see this is, consider a local maximum in temperature in a spatial distribution of temp. Then all points nearby are warmer,

Nitpicking but you mean "cooler"?

1. What is the heat equation and how does it work?

The heat equation is a mathematical model that describes how heat is transferred through a substance. It is based on the principle of conservation of energy and takes into account factors such as temperature, time, and the physical properties of the material. It is commonly used to predict the temperature distribution in a given system.

2. Why is the heat equation important in practical applications?

The heat equation has many practical applications in various fields such as engineering, physics, and chemistry. It is used to analyze heat flow in objects, design efficient heating and cooling systems, and understand thermal properties of materials. It is also essential in predicting and controlling temperature changes in industrial processes.

3. How is the heat equation solved?

The heat equation is typically solved using numerical methods such as finite difference, finite element, or finite volume methods. These methods involve dividing the system into smaller parts and solving the equation for each part. The solutions are then combined to obtain a complete picture of heat transfer in the system.

4. What are some practical applications of the heat equation?

The heat equation has a wide range of applications, including predicting the thermal behavior of buildings, analyzing heat transfer in electronics and semiconductors, and understanding the temperature distribution in the Earth's crust. It is also used in the design of heat exchangers, refrigeration systems, and other thermal devices.

5. What are the limitations of the heat equation?

The heat equation is based on several assumptions, such as constant material properties and steady-state conditions, which may not always hold in real-world situations. It also does not take into account factors such as convection and radiation, which can significantly impact heat transfer. Therefore, it is important to carefully consider the limitations of the heat equation when applying it to practical problems.