Mysterious Automatic Wake-Up on Old PC

• Thread starter Ravaner
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Automatic
In summary, the speaker describes a strange phenomenon where their old PC (300 MHz Win-2000) starts on its own during the night, despite being correctly shut down. They clarify that it is a complete shutdown and there is no LAN connection. They have checked the BIOS settings and all wake-up options are disabled. However, they suggest that it could be related to being connected to the internet and provide a link to a video discussing power management. They mention that they have tested this on XP, but it does not exist on Win2000. They are seeking an explanation for this phenomenon.
Ravaner
Hello. I'll try to describe a strange phenomenon I look on a PC. My recent PC is temporarily out of order and sent to repair. So I use my old PC ( 300 MHz Win-2000 ) and what happens ... Although I correctly stop this PC in the evening, during the night it starts alone without any human intervention. This situation happened during two consecutive nights ? I must also precise that this PC is connected to Internet. Can someone explain what happens ?

Computer science news on Phys.org
Ravaner said:
Although I correctly stop this PC in the evening, during the night it starts alone without any human intervention.

When you say "stop", I assume you mean a complete "shutdown"? Or was it put on "sleep" mode?

Wake on lan in the bios.

Thanks for replies. Yes it is a complete shutdown. There is no LAN connected. I've checked in BIOS all wake-up , power-on ... are disabled !

If I understand correctly, you're leaving it connected to the internet so maybe this is what's going on?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0e0LvAao0kg

Many thanks for reply. This link is really interesting. I tested modification of power management under XP unfortunately this parameter doesn't exist with Win2000.

1. What is the cause of the mysterious automatic wake-up on my old PC?

The most common cause of automatic wake-up on old PCs is the presence of scheduled tasks or automatic updates. These can be set by the operating system, software programs, or even malware.

2. How can I stop my old PC from randomly waking up?

To prevent your old PC from automatically waking up, you can check and disable any scheduled tasks or automatic updates. You can also adjust the power settings to prevent the PC from waking up for network activity or hardware events.

3. Can a virus or malware be causing the automatic wake-up on my old PC?

It is possible for a virus or malware to cause your old PC to automatically wake up. It is important to regularly scan your computer for viruses and malware and to keep your security software up to date.

4. Is there a way to determine the specific program or process causing the automatic wake-up on my old PC?

Yes, you can use the Task Scheduler or Event Viewer on your PC to identify the specific program or process responsible for the automatic wake-up. From there, you can take steps to disable or adjust the settings of the program.

5. Will an old and outdated BIOS or firmware affect the automatic wake-up of my PC?

Yes, an outdated BIOS or firmware can potentially cause issues with the automatic wake-up on your old PC. It is recommended to regularly check for updates and install them to ensure your PC is running smoothly.