Finding Limits of Functions with Multiple Sets of Variables

So the answer would change to 0. That is, if you define the limit in the same way I did. Anyway, thanks for the correction.In summary, when dealing with limits of functions with variables belonging to different sets of numbers, one must define the variables clearly in order to apply the correct method for finding the limit. L'Hospital's rule may not always work in these cases and one may have to use other methods such as defining the fractional part of a real number.
Mathoholic!
I'm familiarized with finding limits of most kinds of functions. I was struck by a problem: What if the variables of the function belong to different sets of numbers?

My point being, given the function:

f(n,q)=[itex]\frac{n}{q}[/itex]

With n belonging to the set of natural numbers and q belonging to the set of rational numbers.

How do I avaluate the following limit (if possible):

lim f(n,q) as n→∞ and q→∞

This may be a silly question but care to answer please.

Thank you

Mathematics news on Phys.org
I am not 100% certain but I believe L'Hospital's rule still applies to multivariable functions if both the top and bottom functions are going to infinity. That would make:

lim f(n,q) as n→∞ and q→∞ = 1

only because you can take the derivative of what is upstairs and the derivative of what is downstairs with simplicity. I don't think this method would work if you had say, a function like:

f(n,q) = (n+q) / (q-n)^2

because then you would have multiple variables locked upstairs and downstairs and it would become a mess with partial derivations.

That function is discontinous along one axis. Don't think L'Hospital can be used then.

Mathoholic! said:
I'm familiarized with finding limits of most kinds of functions. I was struck by a problem: What if the variables of the function belong to different sets of numbers?

My point being, given the function:

f(n,q)=[itex]\frac{n}{q}[/itex]

With n belonging to the set of natural numbers and q belonging to the set of rational numbers.

This may be a silly question but care to answer please.

Thank you

You have to define your n and q better.

As an example, let's take the limit ##\lim_{x \rightarrow \infty} \frac{\lfloor x \rfloor}{x}##, where ##x \in \mathbb{R}##

You can't simply apply L' Hopital's because the numerator is a discontinuous function.

But you can find the limit by defining the fractional part of x as ##\{x\}## and rewriting the limit as:

##\lim_{x \rightarrow \infty} \frac{x - \{x\}}{x} = 1 - \lim_{x \rightarrow \infty} \frac{\{x\}}{x} = 1##

So a lot depends on exactly what you intend the numerator and denominator to signify.

Mathoholic! said:

Do you mean ##\lim_{n \rightarrow \infty}\lim_{q \rightarrow \infty} \frac{n}{q}## or ##\lim_{q \rightarrow \infty} \lim_{n \rightarrow \infty} \frac{n}{q}##?

I was struck by a problem: What if the variables of the function belong to different sets of numbers?

The general theory is that of nets.

Last edited:
Curious3141 said:
You have to define your n and q better.

As an example, let's take the limit ##\lim_{x \rightarrow \infty} \frac{\lfloor x \rfloor}{x}##, where ##x \in \mathbb{R}##

You can't simply apply L' Hopital's because the numerator is a discontinuous function.

But you can find the limit by defining the fractional part of x as ##\{x\}## and rewriting the limit as:

##\lim_{x \rightarrow \infty} \frac{x - \{x\}}{x} = 1 - \lim_{x \rightarrow \infty} \frac{\{x\}}{x} = 1##

So a lot depends on exactly what you intend the numerator and denominator to signify.

Very cool! Thanks for the correction.

1. What is the definition of a limit in mathematics?

A limit is a fundamental concept in calculus that describes the behavior of a function as the input value (or variable) approaches a certain point or value. It represents the value that a function approaches as the input value gets closer and closer to a particular value.

2. How do you find the limit of a function with multiple sets of variables?

To find the limit of a function with multiple sets of variables, you need to approach the point or value from all possible directions. This can be done by evaluating the function at various points that approach the desired point or value, and observing the values of the function as they get closer and closer to the desired point.

3. What are some common techniques used to determine the limit of a function with multiple sets of variables?

Some common techniques used to determine the limit of a function with multiple sets of variables include substitution, algebraic simplification, and factoring. In more complex cases, you may also need to use trigonometric identities, logarithmic and exponential properties, and L'Hopital's rule.

4. Can the limit of a function with multiple sets of variables exist even if the function is not defined at that point?

Yes, the limit of a function with multiple sets of variables can exist even if the function is not defined at that point. This is because the limit only considers the behavior of the function as the input value approaches a particular point, not the actual value of the function at that point.

5. How can you use graphs to determine the limit of a function with multiple sets of variables?

Graphs can be a useful tool in determining the limit of a function with multiple sets of variables. By plotting the function and observing the behavior of the graph as the input value approaches a particular point, you can get a visual representation of the limit. You can also use graphing calculators to plot the function and find the limit at a specific point.