What are the natural target of naturally occuring beta lactamase ?

In summary, beta-lactamase enzymes have a very ancient origin and have been tinkered with in recent anthropogenic activity. Their natural target is beta-lactam rings, which form the backbone of penicillins produced by fungi, something bacteria need to defend themselves against. While we may not know the exact ancestral beta-lactam, there are plenty of organisms in nature that produce antibiotic compounds that bacteria have evolved beta-lactamases to defend against. Presently, there are cases of resistance developing for non-anthropogenic activity.
Ahmed Abdullah
I have learned that beta-lactamase enzymes have very ancient origin. And they are just tinkered in the recent anthropogenic activity. So some original form must be out there. What are their natural target?

Biology news on Phys.org
Remember that penicillin was originally derived from a fungus. There are plenty of organisms in nature that produce antibiotic compounds from which the bacteria need to defend themselves.

Ygggdrasil said:
Remember that penicillin was originally derived from a fungus. There are plenty of organisms in nature that produce antibiotic compounds from which the bacteria need to defend themselves.
Actually I was looking for a specific example.

Ahmed Abdullah said:
Actually I was looking for a specific example.

He was specific. Beta-lactamase attacks beta-lactam rings. Which forms the backbone of penicillins produced by fungi. Something bacteria would need to defend themselves against.

If you are asking what was the specific fungi beta-lactam that bacteria evolved beta-lactamases to that is a silly question. Molecules don't fossilize so there is no reason we should expect to ever know the exact ancestral beta-lactam.

bobze said:
He was specific. Beta-lactamase attacks beta-lactam rings. Which forms the backbone of penicillins produced by fungi. Something bacteria would need to defend themselves against.

If you are asking what was the specific fungi beta-lactam that bacteria evolved beta-lactamases to that is a silly question. Molecules don't fossilize so there is no reason we should expect to ever know the exact ancestral beta-lactam.

Sorry you misunderstood me. I wanted to know the name of the species that produce such antibiotic , the bacteria that became resistant to that and the relationship between them. I am not looking for ancestral examples (may be an impossibility, who knows). I am looking for present cases where resistance developed (exist) for non-anthropogenic activity.

1. What is beta lactamase?

Beta lactamase is an enzyme that is naturally produced by bacteria. It is responsible for breaking down beta-lactam antibiotics, such as penicillin and cephalosporins, making them ineffective against the bacteria.

2. What are the natural targets of naturally occurring beta lactamase?

The natural targets of beta lactamase are beta-lactam antibiotics. These antibiotics have a chemical structure that resembles the structure of the bacterial cell wall, which is why they are able to kill bacteria. However, beta lactamase breaks down this structure, rendering the antibiotics ineffective.

3. How does beta lactamase affect the effectiveness of antibiotics?

Beta lactamase breaks down the chemical structure of beta-lactam antibiotics, making them ineffective against bacteria. This means that bacteria that produce beta lactamase are able to resist the effects of these antibiotics and continue to grow and cause infections.

4. Are there any natural inhibitors of beta lactamase?

Yes, there are natural inhibitors of beta lactamase. Some bacteria produce enzymes that can inhibit the activity of beta lactamase, making the antibiotics effective again. Additionally, some plants and fungi produce compounds that can also inhibit beta lactamase activity.

5. Can bacteria become resistant to beta lactamase?

Yes, bacteria can become resistant to beta lactamase. This can happen through mutations in the bacterial DNA that result in changes to the structure of beta lactamase, making it less susceptible to inhibition. Bacteria can also acquire genes from other bacteria through horizontal gene transfer that encode for beta lactamase enzymes that are not affected by natural inhibitors.