NMR - does rf cause transitions or simply rotate the magn vector?

In summary, the classical approach to NMR is based on the idea that RF radiation causes the nucleus to absorb a photon, which makes a transition between spin states. The quantum mechanical approach postulates that the nucleus actually absorbs a quantum of energy and undergoes a transition.
mrquantum
Am I wrong in thinking that the rf radiation used in nmr is not "absorbed" by protons to cause transitions between spin states but rather it is only there to provide a magnetic field which can rotate the magnetisation vector away from the primary field?

Chemistry news on Phys.org
You can think that way. The issue is that the magnetization vector picture eventually loses the ability to really make sense of or devise the kinds of experiments people are interested in conducting.

One can get away with a fairly classical approach to magnetic resonance for spin-1/2 nuclei and imaging, to a large extent, but if, for example, one wants to work for my one former labmate - who does all kinds of stuff with quadrupolar nuclei in inorganic and biological solids, including dynamics and relaxation studies - just sticking with the vector model isn't going to cut it.

If you're interested in further reading, I'd suggest digging up the work of David Hoult on the nature of RF absorption and NMR over the last ~ 20 years. I can dig up the references, but I'll have to get back to you on that.

Last edited:
mrquantum, despite your name you have confused the quantum mechanical and classical pictures of NMR. Quantum mechanically a photon is indeed absorbed by the nucleus, which makes a transition between states. In the classical view, RF radiation causes the spin to precess at the Larmor frequency about the direction of the static magnetic field such that its polar angle changes. Both views are correct within their model universes.

I don't understand how both can be correct. Is the RF radiation absorbed and re-emitted or does it pass straight through the sample.

I'm basically trying to understand how the magnetisation vector (along +z) gets tipped into the xy-plane, or, if you like, how the z component of each nuclei's spin angular momentum is transferred into spin angular momentum in the x and y directions.

What am I misunderstanding? Does anybody know any good articles that will elucidate the difference between the quantum mechanical and classical approaches to NMR?

1. Does the rf signal cause transitions in NMR?

No, the rf signal does not directly cause transitions in NMR. It is the combination of the rf signal and the static magnetic field that causes transitions in the spin states of the sample's nuclei.

2. How does the rf signal affect the magnetization vector in NMR?

The rf signal causes the magnetization vector to rotate and align with the direction of the static magnetic field. This rotation is essential for detecting and manipulating the signal in NMR experiments.

3. What is the role of the rf signal in NMR?

The rf signal is used to manipulate the spin states of the sample's nuclei and induce transitions between these states. This allows for the detection and characterization of the sample's chemical and physical properties.

4. Can the rf signal be adjusted to target specific nuclei in NMR?

Yes, the frequency of the rf signal can be adjusted to target specific nuclei in NMR. This is known as chemical shift and is a crucial aspect of NMR spectroscopy for identifying different molecules in a sample.

5. Is the strength of the rf signal important in NMR experiments?

Yes, the strength of the rf signal is essential in NMR experiments. It needs to be strong enough to induce transitions in the spin states of the nuclei but not too strong to cause damage to the sample or distort the results.