The Role of Juice in Fruit Reproduction

• Thread starter Captain Morgan
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the purpose of juice in the reproduction process of trees and the evolutionary reason for fruits being sweet. The conversation also touches on the relationship between flowers and fruits and how they contribute to the reproduction of trees.
Captain Morgan
If a tree wants to reproduce like other organisms, does the juice somehow aid in this process? I understand juice is mostly composed of water, but I'm certain the plant wouldn't expend the energy to create the juice if it was purposeless. Thanks.

I know this is probably a very basic question, by the way.

Biology news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

Hi Captain Morgan! Welcome to PF! :smile:

Yes, there wouldn't be fruit if there weren't animals to eat them.

Similarly, there wouldn't be flowers without animals, and there wouldn't be any colour (other than green).

(I remember a Star Trek episode in which they landed on a planet with beautiful flowers, and strangely came to the conclusion that there were no animals on the planet. :rolleyes:)

tiny-tim said:
(I remember a Star Trek episode in which they landed on a planet with beautiful flowers, and strangely came to the conclusion that there were no animals on the planet. :rolleyes:)

I always suspected that some part of Star Trek was not realistic! Glad I know now which part that was.

Ah, that makes sense. Thanks for the reply all.

On an unrelated note, about how often are the "Medical Sciences" section of the forums used? I'm rather interesting in medical biology, so it would seem I'm going to be using both parts of these forums quite a bit. Thanks again.

are flowers the end result of fruits, or is it 2 different things

mazinse said:
are flowers the end result of fruits, or is it 2 different things
When the flower of a fruit tree is pollinated, it will produce a fruit, the flower petals will fall off. Is that what you were asking? Or are you asking if the fruit ripens and produces seeds, that then sprout and grow into trees that eventually produce blooms, which if pollinated, produce fruit?

Evo said:
When the flower of a fruit tree is pollinated, it will produce a fruit, the flower petals will fall off. Is that what you were asking? Or are you asking if the fruit ripens and produces seeds, that then sprout and grow into trees that eventually produce blooms, which if pollinated, produce fruit?

yeah that cleared things up for me thanks

1. Why do fruits contain juice?

Fruits contain juice because it helps the plants to reproduce. The juice, or sap, contains sugars and other nutrients that attract animals to eat the fruit and disperse the seeds. This allows the plant to spread and create new plants.

2. What is the purpose of fruit juice?

The purpose of fruit juice is to provide nutrients and hydration to the plant. It also serves as a way to attract animals to eat and disperse the seeds, aiding in the plant's reproduction.

3. Do all fruits have juice?

No, not all fruits have juice. Some fruits, such as nuts and grains, do not contain juice. These fruits rely on wind or other methods for seed dispersal.

4. Is fruit juice the same as water?

No, fruit juice is not the same as water. While fruit juice does contain water, it also contains other nutrients and sugars that are not found in plain water.

5. Can fruit juice be harmful to consume?

In moderation, fruit juice is generally safe to consume. However, some fruit juices may contain high amounts of sugar and should be consumed in moderation. It is always best to check the nutrition label and consult with a healthcare professional if you have any concerns.