What is the mysterious purple-violet oval in the night sky?

• Thread starter Disgusting spy
  • Start date
In summary, an object was seen in pictures taken using a camera, that caught the eye of the observer, and appeared to be moving. It is most likely just a reflection of light, but could also be something unknown.
Disgusting spy
Hello, everyone! Merely an hour ago (at 1:25 +11 GMT to be precise) I saw something in the pictures of the night sky that I took using my camera, using 15, 30 and 60 seconds exposure. (Some time passed between shots) The object that caught my eye is a purple-violet oval, or a thing that is moving above the central building in the middle.

[Broken]
---- 15 seconds exposure (camera slid a bit)

[Broken]
---- 30 seconds exposure

[Broken]
---- 60 seconds

I have to note, that I couldn't find the object in the sky with my binoculars, or see it with an unaided eye - It's onl seen in the pictures. Could it be something unknown, or just a simple reflection of light that got in camera?

By the way, the camera was facing West

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes 1 person
Astronomy news on Phys.org
It's probably just an issue with light reflecting off the optics in a particular way, but I really can't say.

The images website is blocked where I'm at but, I'll take a guess and suggest that it might be a satellite. Take a look at this site to see what might have passed by your area recently - http://www.heavens-above.com. My first thought would be an Iridium satellite. They can be very bright but they only last a few seconds.

Looks to me like a reflection, satellites look completely different.

In the last two pictures, the elongated blob is oriented at different angles from the vertical, but in both cases it's perpendicular to a line that runs radially from the very bright light to the left. Therefore I also think it's an internal reflection in the lens. The purple color probably comes from coatings on the lens affecting different wavelengths differently.

I guess you guys are right, this is a reflection. Thanks for your help! :D

Borek said:
Looks to me like a reflection, satellites look completely different.
I can see it now from home. Yeah, that doesn't look like a satellite.

iridiumflare00.jpg

The sensitivity to infrared on a camera may be superior to the human eye.

Generally digital color cameras are equipped with IR/UV cut filters for a host of different reasons. Their sensitivity to IR light should be zero.

Being in the right place at the right time, I was able to get a clearer picture with my ultra high resolution camera:

superman.jpg

1. What exactly did I just see?

This can be a difficult question to answer without more context. Can you provide more details or a description of what you saw?

2. How can I be sure of what I just saw?

It's important to gather evidence and make observations to support what you saw. You can also consult with others who may have also seen the same thing.

3. Is there a scientific explanation for what I just saw?

It's possible that there is a scientific explanation for what you saw, but it's also important to consider other factors such as perception and interpretation. More information and research may be needed to determine the cause.

4. Could what I just saw be a hallucination?

Hallucinations can be caused by a variety of factors, including medical conditions and substance use. It's important to consult with a medical professional if you suspect you may have experienced a hallucination.

5. How can I learn more about what I just saw?

Researching and gathering more information about the topic can help you learn more about what you saw. You can also consult with experts in the field or read scientific articles and studies on the subject.