Register to reply

Recrystallizing out of methanol

by scienceboy2000
Tags: methanol, recrystallizing
Share this thread:
scienceboy2000
Nov13-13, 01:50 PM
P: 7
Hi, I am trying to recrystallize salt from methanol. I am having trouble. This is exactly what I did:

I dissolved a gram of salt into 20 ml of methanol (the bottle I have says methyl hydrate but I read online that it's the same thing as methanol). Then I made a hot water bath. I put a pyrex dish into a pot of boiling water. Using an eye dropper, I dropped a few drops into the pyrex beaker. I expected the methanol to evaporate almost immediately, leaving me with a thin flakey crystal that can easily be scraped off. But at best, I am left with a small piece of crust that is impossible to scrape off the pyrex dish. What is wrong?
Phys.Org News Partner Chemistry news on Phys.org
Scientists develop 'electronic nose' for rapid detection of C. diff infection
A new synthetic amino acid for an emerging class of drugs
Team pioneers strategy for creating new materials
Borek
Nov13-13, 03:19 PM
Admin
P: 23,594
No idea why you expected dried out substance to easily separate from the glass. It may, but it doesn't have to.
Yanick
Nov13-13, 04:15 PM
P: 383
What are you planning on getting out of this process? It seems to me that you are just spinning your wheels. Making a solution and evaporating the solvent leaves you with the material you started with minus some time and energy.

Recrystallizations are typically done to purify something from a mixture and requires either some background knowledge of the system (what your compound is, what impurities might be there etc) or a bunch of trial and error.

See Wikipedia for a intro discussion: Recrystallization

scienceboy2000
Nov14-13, 10:42 PM
P: 7
Recrystallizing out of methanol

Thanks for the replies! I have read a lot about crystallization and I will be doing some experiments over the next couple of days. I will update this thread if I have any questions.

Register to reply