Time lapse image of Comet ISON, what looks like snow?

Mary are discussing a time lapse movie on the New Scientist website that caught Dave's attention. The movie shows emissions from the sun, stars, and a comet, but Dave is curious about the "snow" in the video. Mary explains that the "snow" is actually high energy particles striking the detector, and Dave agrees that it makes sense. Mary also mentions that during a major CME, the detectors on the spacecraft experience a total whiteout when hit by the particles. In summary, the time lapse movie on the New Scientist website shows emissions from the sun, stars, and a comet, with "snow" caused by high energy particles striking the detector. During a major CME, the detectors can experience a total whiteout from the particles
Spinnor
Gold Member
Visiting New Scientist website the following time lapse movie caught my eye, see,

http://www.newscientist.com/article/dn24667#.Upe1pNJwq0I from,

http://www.newscientist.com/

I get the emissions from the sun, the stars, and the comet, but what is in the movie that kind of looks like snow, little various length streaks and flashing dots of light?

Happy Thanksgiving!

Astronomy news on Phys.org
I believe the "snow" is from high energy particles striking the detector.

Drakkith said:
I believe the "snow" is from high energy particles striking the detector.

Thanks! That sounds right.

yup exactly

wait till you see a major CME the detectors on the spacecraft go into total whiteout
when the blast of particles hit them

Dave

Thank you for sharing the time lapse image of Comet ISON. I can explain that what you are seeing in the image are actually small particles and debris being emitted from the comet as it travels through space. These particles are made up of ice, dust, and other materials that make up the comet's composition. As the comet gets closer to the sun, the heat causes these particles to vaporize and create the streaks and flashing dots of light that you see in the image. This phenomenon is known as outgassing and is a common occurrence for comets. It's a beautiful and fascinating sight to witness. Happy Thanksgiving to you too!

1. What is a time lapse image of Comet ISON?

A time lapse image of Comet ISON is a series of photographs taken over a period of time to capture the movement and changes of the comet as it passes through the sky.

2. How is the time lapse image of Comet ISON created?

The time lapse image of Comet ISON is created by taking multiple photographs of the comet using a camera with a long exposure setting. These images are then combined to create a video or animation that shows the comet's movement and changes over time.

3. What causes the snow-like appearance in the time lapse image?

The snow-like appearance in the time lapse image is caused by the comet's tail, which is made up of dust and gas particles that reflect sunlight as the comet moves through space.

4. Why is the time lapse image of Comet ISON important for scientific research?

The time lapse image of Comet ISON provides valuable information about the comet's behavior, such as how it changes over time and how it interacts with the environment around it. This information can help scientists better understand comets and their role in the solar system.

5. Can the time lapse image of Comet ISON be seen with the naked eye?

No, the time lapse image of Comet ISON is typically captured using specialized equipment and techniques and may not be visible to the naked eye. However, the individual photographs used to create the time lapse may be able to be seen with a telescope or binoculars.