Calculating Flue Gas Losses, Shell Boiler

In summary, the speaker is performing an acceptance test for a new gas fired shell boiler, following the British Standard BS EN 12953-11:2003. They have encountered an issue with equation (8.5-2) in the document, where a value of enthalpy is subtracted from itself, resulting in zero. The speaker has contacted the British Standard but they are still waiting for a response from the committee. They also mention that the document has many typos, despite being published ten years ago and confirmed.
eddiej90
I am currently performing an acceptance test for a newly installed gas fired shell boiler. I am following the British Standard "BS EN 12953-11:2003".

I have encountered a problem with equation (8.5-2) found on page 16 of the document described above. This problem being that a value of enthalpy is subtracted from itself, thus equating it to zero. Surely if this was correct then a value of zero would simply suffice within that section of the equation. The value i decribe is highlighted in the two images attached.

I have contacted the British Standard however it needs to run through a committee before they can produce an answer. Part of me does doubt my thoughts as it published ten years ago and a revised copy has not yet been published. Thought i'd best check with you guys though.

Attachments

• page 1.png
    page 1.png
    35.3 KB · Views: 498
  • page 2.png
    page 2.png
    30.5 KB · Views: 527
Engineering news on Phys.org
It's probably some kind of typo.

I've found that this document has many typos. You'd think a british standard that was published ten years ago and has been confirmed wouldn't contain silly little errors like that.

1. What is the purpose of calculating flue gas losses in a shell boiler?

The purpose of calculating flue gas losses in a shell boiler is to determine the amount of heat lost through the flue gas that is not utilized for steam production. This information can help improve the boiler's efficiency and reduce energy costs.

2. How is the flue gas loss calculated in a shell boiler?

The flue gas loss is calculated by measuring the temperature and composition of the flue gas, as well as the fuel and combustion air flow rates. This data is then used in a formula to calculate the amount of heat lost through the flue gas.

3. What factors can contribute to higher flue gas losses in a shell boiler?

There are several factors that can contribute to higher flue gas losses in a shell boiler, including excess air in the combustion process, low boiler efficiency, poor insulation, and high stack temperatures. These issues can lead to more heat being lost through the flue gas and result in higher energy costs.

4. How can flue gas losses be reduced in a shell boiler?

Flue gas losses can be reduced by optimizing the combustion process to minimize excess air, improving the boiler's efficiency through regular maintenance and tuning, and ensuring proper insulation to reduce heat loss. It is also important to monitor and control stack temperatures to avoid excessive heat loss through the flue gas.

5. Why is it important to regularly calculate and monitor flue gas losses in a shell boiler?

Regularly calculating and monitoring flue gas losses in a shell boiler is important because it can help identify inefficiencies and potential problems in the boiler's operation. By understanding the amount of heat lost through the flue gas, steps can be taken to improve the boiler's efficiency and reduce energy costs. Additionally, this information can be used to track the boiler's performance over time and make necessary adjustments for optimal operation.