Calculate the gap distance between two electrodes

In summary, the conversation is about calculating the minimum gap distance between two electrodes in order to prevent sparking. The material of the electrodes is copper and silver rivet and they have different shapes. "iirc The shape" may refer to the fact that the shape of the electrodes can affect the minimum gap distance. The suggestion to "Look up "Paschen Curves" is a possible solution to the problem.
bhavu21fri
Hello Friends

How to calculate the minimum GAP distance between two electrodes?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Easy, the minimum gap size between electrodes, from the information supplied, is zero.
If that is not what you want, you will have to provide more information - but usually you want the smallest gap without getting a spark ... which depends on the material separating, and the potential difference between, them.
iirc The shape of the electrodes can matter too.

Likes 1 person
Thanks

you are right sir the smallest gap without getting a spark. the material is copper & Silver Rivet but the material is same for both side.

I am working on Power Relay.. in that NO & NC Both Connection. when NO Is open that time NC is close but i have to make safe distance for NC for sparking...problem

I am not getting the meaning of iirc The shape. but in my rivet one with flat surface and another has a little curve.

bhavu21fri said:
Hello Friends

How to calculate the minimum GAP distance between two electrodes?

bhavu21fri said:
Thanks

you are right sir the smallest gap without getting a spark. the material is copper & Silver Rivet but the material is same for both side.

I am working on Power Relay.. in that NO & NC Both Connection. when NO Is open that time NC is close but i have to make safe distance for NC for sparking...problem

I am not getting the meaning of iirc The shape. but in my rivet one with flat surface and another has a little curve.

Look up "Paschen Curves"

What he said... and Merry Xmas.

1. How do I calculate the gap distance between two electrodes?

To calculate the gap distance between two electrodes, you will need to know the voltage and current of the system. The gap distance can be calculated using the formula: Gap distance = Voltage / Current. Make sure to use consistent units (e.g. volts and amps) for accurate results.

2. Can I use the same formula for any type of electrodes?

Yes, the formula for calculating the gap distance between two electrodes is applicable for any type of electrodes as long as you use the corresponding voltage and current values.

3. Is the gap distance between two electrodes constant?

No, the gap distance between two electrodes can vary depending on the voltage and current of the system. It can also change due to factors such as temperature, humidity, and the material used for the electrodes.

4. How important is the gap distance between two electrodes?

The gap distance between two electrodes is a crucial factor in determining the efficiency and accuracy of various electrical systems. It affects the strength and stability of the electrical current and can impact the overall performance of the system.

5. What should I do if the calculated gap distance is too large?

If the calculated gap distance between two electrodes is too large, you can try to increase the voltage or decrease the current to reduce the gap distance. You may also need to consider changing the type or material of the electrodes to achieve the desired gap distance.