Why Not Just E=mc? Exploring the Purpose of E=mc2

• Thread starter thykingdombutt
  • Start date
In summary: light travels with the speed of light squared, because momentum (the quantity that carries energy) is conserved.
thykingdombutt
I know E=mc2 essentially means energy = mass. One might think why not just say E = m?

But I also know that: Every object travels through space and time at the speed of light.

So now one might think why not just E=mc? That's essentially where I'm stuck at now. I'm not sure why it's necessary to 2 the c.

I know that light waves only travel at right angles, but I don't know if that has any relevance to the formula.

Physics news on Phys.org
Look at the units and tell me what happens with E=mc.

thykingdombutt said:
I know E=mc2 essentially means energy = mass. One might think why not just say E = m?

But I also know that: Every object travels through space and time at the speed of light.
That's nowhere close to true. For example, the planets in the solar system are moving much slower than that.
thykingdombutt said:
So now one might think why not just E=mc? That's essentially where I'm stuck at now. I'm not sure why it's necessary to 2 the c.

I know that light waves only travel at right angles
Right angles to what? You might be thinking about the magnetic and electric fields.
thykingdombutt said:
, but I don't know if that has any relevance to the formula.

Common misconception: Everything does not necessarily travel at the speed of light. Everything's proper velocity's magnitude is c (under only the influence of gravity? I think).

E=mc^2 wasn't a guess. It was derived by a thought experiment of Einstein's and described in his paper "Does the Inertia of a Body Depend upon its Energy Content." There he found that with a discrepancy between the measurements of mass between multiple inertial reference frames is that the measured difference is E/c^2. In other words m=E/c^2 or E=mc^2.

Another thought I had that might help me understand this, what does Einstein mean by "energy"? Energy is defined different based on type (kinetic, potential, mechanical, electric, etcetera). I read his paper but he refers to it mostly in general.

TheEtherWind said:
Common misconception: Everything does not necessarily travel at the speed of light. Everything's proper velocity's magnitude is c (under only the influence of gravity? I think).

I see, so would it be more accurate to say: Every object travels through space and time with the velocity's magnitude of light?

thykingdombutt said:
Another thought I had that might help me understand this, what does Einstein mean by "energy"? Energy is defined different based on type (kinetic, potential, mechanical, electric, etcetera). I read his paper but he refers to it mostly in general.
Because one form of energy can be transformed into another and the total amount of energy is conserved, the specific form of energy doesn't make much difference. Indeed, it's often best to think of rest mass as just another form of energy - this thread may be helpful: www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=720053

I see, so would it be more accurate to say: Every object travels through space and time with the velocity's magnitude of light?
It is true that the magnitude of the four-velocity four-vector is always ##c##, but unless you are very clear on the underlying math, it's easy to be misled if you think of this as "traveling".

thykingdombutt said:

Particles do not travel in space-time. All we're doing is normalizing the 4-velocity of time-like particles by using proper time as the worldline parameter.

DaleSpam said:
Look at the units and tell me what happens with E=mc.
I suspect that the thread starter knows nothing about physical units. Which means that any attempt to teach him some special relativity will be waste of time.

Sorry for taking so long getting back to this thread. I wanted to do a lot more research and come back with more confidence. I'll discuss my current thoughts now.

I think the reason mass is multiplied by the speed of light (as opposed to the speed of sound or some other variable) is because light in a vacuum is constant and so can give you precise reliable numbers to work with.

I think the reason the speed of light is squared has to do with the nature of momentum: To move a given object twice as fast for example, wouldn't take twice the energy/work but rather 4 times, thrice as fast 9 times, etcetera.

thykingdombutt said:
Sorry for taking so long getting back to this thread. I wanted to do a lot more research and come back with more confidence. I'll discuss my current thoughts now.

I think the reason mass is multiplied by the speed of light (as opposed to the speed of sound or some other variable) is because light in a vacuum is constant and so can give you precise reliable numbers to work with.

I think the reason the speed of light is squared has to do with the nature of momentum: To move a given object twice as fast for example, wouldn't take twice the energy/work but rather 4 times, thrice as fast 9 times, etcetera.

You seem to be on the right track when you note that energy is quadratic in velocity and not linear. But there's another very useful way of approaching this problem that you seem to be missing.

See, for instance dimensional analysis http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dimensional_analysis. Then try visiting Google calculator, and typing in the expression

kg * (meter per second)^2 =

Isnt it because the energy released is equivalent to e=mc^2

1. What is the meaning of E=mc2?

E=mc2 is a famous equation that represents the relationship between energy (E), mass (m), and the speed of light (c). It means that energy and mass are interchangeable and can be converted into one another.

2. Why is E=mc2 important?

E=mc2 is important because it revolutionized our understanding of the universe. It showed that mass and energy are not separate entities, but rather different forms of the same thing. This equation also led to advancements in nuclear energy and the development of atomic bombs.

3. Who came up with E=mc2?

E=mc2 was developed by Albert Einstein in 1905 as part of his theory of special relativity. However, he did not fully understand the equation's implications until later in his life.

4. Can E=mc2 be applied to everyday life?

Yes, E=mc2 can be applied to everyday life in many ways. For example, it is used in medical imaging technology such as PET scans, and in the production of nuclear energy. It also plays a role in the creation of stars and other celestial bodies.

5. Is E=mc2 the most famous equation in the world?

E=mc2 is often considered one of the most famous equations in the world, but it is closely followed by other well-known equations such as Newton's second law (F=ma) and Pythagorean theorem (a2+b2=c2). However, E=mc2 is certainly one of the most recognizable and influential equations in modern science.