Switch AC Signal - Low Impedance (<1ohm) 50Vrms 1-100Khz

In summary, the conversation is discussing the need for a switch that can control an AC signal with a high impedance and low impedance. The desired specifications for the switch are a less than 1 ohmn impedance, the ability to handle a signal range of 1-100Khz, and a signal of 50Vrms. The individual has tried using mosfets, but they do not fully block the signal and may not be suitable for controlling AC signals. Another potential solution suggested is using a CD4066BC Quad Bilateral Switch, but it can only handle up to 10 volts. The conversation then moves on to discussing alternative ways to create the desired switch, such as using a “T” structure with mosfets.
EE4life
Hi all,

I would like to make a switch for an AC signal (on off ,ie, high impedance and low impedance). The switch should have less than 1 ohmn impedance. The signal can range from 1-100Khz and the signal will be 50Vrms.

I tried to use mosfets, but they do not block the signal completely, and I do not think they are meant to control AC signals like this.

Thanks in advance.

Engineering news on Phys.org
EE4life said:
Hi all,

I would like to make a switch for an AC signal (on off ,ie, high impedance and low impedance). The switch should have less than 1 ohmn impedance. The signal can range from 1-100Khz and the signal will be 50Vrms.

I tried to use mosfets, but they do not block the signal completely, and I do not think they are meant to control AC signals like this.

Thanks in advance.

You have probably considered simple relays -- could you say why you rejected them? Switching time, bounce, etc?

There are many ways of doing it, but it will depend on the maximum signal current.
Are the signals in a coaxial cable or a twisted pair?

Often a “T” structure switch is used. Two series switches in the top of the “T” are used to block the signal while another switch in the stem of the “T” grounds the midpoint when the switch is off to greatly reduce feedthrough. Perhaps you can use that structure with mosfets.

I would recommend exploring the use of a solid-state relay for this application. Solid-state relays are specifically designed to switch AC signals with low impedance and can easily handle the range of frequencies and voltage levels mentioned in the post. They also have the added benefit of being more reliable and durable compared to mechanical switches. Additionally, I would suggest consulting with an electrical engineer for further guidance and assistance in selecting the right solid-state relay for your specific needs.

What is a switch AC signal?

A switch AC signal is an alternating current signal that is used to control the flow of electricity in a circuit. It can be turned on and off to allow or block the flow of electricity.

What is low impedance in relation to a switch AC signal?

Low impedance refers to the amount of resistance in a circuit. A low impedance switch AC signal has a resistance of less than 1 ohm, which means it can easily pass through the circuit without causing any significant voltage drops.

What is the voltage of a 50Vrms switch AC signal?

The voltage of a 50Vrms switch AC signal is 50 volts root mean square (rms). This is a measure of the effective voltage of an alternating current signal, which takes into account both the amplitude and frequency of the signal.

What is the frequency range of a 1-100Khz switch AC signal?

The frequency range of a 1-100Khz switch AC signal is 1 kilohertz (Khz) to 100 kilohertz (Khz). This means that the signal can switch on and off at a rate of 1,000 to 100,000 times per second.

What are some common applications of a switch AC signal with low impedance and 50Vrms voltage?

A switch AC signal with low impedance and 50Vrms voltage is commonly used in electronic devices such as audio amplifiers, power supplies, and motor controllers. It is also used in industrial applications for controlling machines and equipment. Additionally, it can be used in scientific experiments for precise control of electrical signals.