Detecting Burned/Distorted Fibers with a Handheld Microscope

• Thread starter eahaidar
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Microscope
In summary, when using a Hand Held Fiber Optic Microscope, if one fiber is damaged or burnt, it will result in a missing pixel on the final image and light loss through the damaged section. The damage will appear as a pattern of missing pixels. However, if the fiber is not damaged or corrupted, the specific appearance will depend on the design and potential abuse of the system. It is recommended to contact the vendor or consult their documentation for more information.
eahaidar
Hello everyone I need to ask in a Hand Held Fiber Optic Microscope what should I see when the fiber is considered burnt or distorted ??

Science news on Phys.org
This is a bit of an open question but, if one fibre were damaged, I'd expect you to get a missing pixel on the final image. Damage to a fibre will tend to result in light loss through the surface of the damaged section.

sophiecentaur said:
This is a bit of an open question but, if one fibre were damaged, I'd expect you to get a missing pixel on the final image. Damage to a fibre will tend to result in light loss through the surface of the damaged section.
Thank you for the reply but like what exactly would I see would is see scratches or like a black spot or what exactly?

I can't say "exactly" because you haven't said what the exact damage is. All I can say is that your fibre optic must be a coherent array - i.e. the position of each fibre must be the same, relative to the others, at the start and the end of the bunch, transferring the image, pixel by pixel. So the pattern of damage to the fibres will turn up as an equivalent pattern of missing pixels on the final image. Each damaged fibre would probably give a dark pixel and should not interfere with the others. It is unlikely that the image would be distorted unless the sensing end of the array is damaged in some way.

sophiecentaur said:
I can't say "exactly" because you haven't said what the exact damage is. All I can say is that your fibre optic must be a coherent array - i.e. the position of each fibre must be the same, relative to the others, at the start and the end of the bunch, transferring the image, pixel by pixel. So the pattern of damage to the fibres will turn up as an equivalent pattern of missing pixels on the final image. Each damaged fibre would probably give a dark pixel and should not interfere with the others. It is unlikely that the image would be distorted unless the sensing end of the array is damaged in some way.
Okay I didn't be clear using Hand Held Fiber Optic Microscope what would you see normally if the fibre works just fine?

eahaidar said:
Okay I didn't be clear using Hand Held Fiber Optic Microscope what would you see normally?

How can I tell, if you don't describe the damage?

sophiecentaur said:
How can I tell, if you don't describe the damage?
Usually the damage is when high power is used causing burnt or scratch on the fiber that is what I know if not I would like to know what happens

You will have to be more specific. If you have a problem with language then a diagram may help.

sophiecentaur said:
You will have to be more specific. If you have a problem with language then a diagram may help.
My question is what do you see inside the fiber when using a Hand Held Fiber Optic Microscope if the fiber is not damaged corrupted ? That is the question

eahaidar said:
Hello everyone I need to ask in a Hand Held Fiber Optic Microscope what should I see when the fiber is considered burnt or distorted ??

eahaidar said:
My question is what do you see inside the fiber when using a Hand Held Fiber Optic Microscope if the fiber is not damaged corrupted ? That is the question

Which answer do you want? These are two different questions.

eahaidar said:
Okay I didn't be clear using Hand Held Fiber Optic Microscope what would you see normally if the fibre works just fine?

You should contact the vendor; or check with their documentation.

It's impossible to guess without (a) knowing the design, and (b) knowing what kinds of abuse the were applied to the system.

1. How does a handheld microscope detect burned/distorted fibers?

A handheld microscope uses high-powered magnification and specialized lighting to detect small changes in the surface of fibers. When fibers are burned or distorted, they may appear darker or have a different texture than surrounding fibers, making them stand out under the microscope.

2. What types of fibers can be detected with a handheld microscope?

A handheld microscope can detect various types of fibers, including natural fibers like cotton, wool, and silk, as well as synthetic fibers like nylon, polyester, and rayon. However, the results may vary depending on the specific microscope and its capabilities.

3. Are there any limitations to using a handheld microscope for detecting burned/distorted fibers?

Yes, there are a few limitations to consider when using a handheld microscope for this purpose. The microscope may not be able to detect fibers that are deeply embedded or obscured by other materials. Additionally, the accuracy of the results may be affected by the skill and experience of the person using the microscope.

4. What are some common applications for using a handheld microscope to detect burned/distorted fibers?

A handheld microscope can be useful in various industries, including textiles, forensics, and manufacturing. It can help identify damaged fibers in clothing or fabrics, determine the cause of a fire or accident, and detect defects in manufactured products that use fibers.

5. Can a handheld microscope be used for other purposes besides detecting burned/distorted fibers?

Yes, a handheld microscope has many other potential applications, such as examining small objects, identifying microscopic organisms, and inspecting electronic components. It can also be used for educational and hobby purposes, like exploring the world of tiny objects and specimens.