Concerning the Classical Electromagnetism and Gravitation Constants

In summary, Coulomb's constant is derived from Gauss's law. The result is: ke = 1/4πε = μc^2/4π = 8987551787.3681764 N·m2/C2
FysixFox
Gold Member
In classical electromagnetism, Coulomb's constant is derived from Gauss's law. The result is:

ke = 1/4πε = μc^2/4π = 8987551787.3681764 N·m2/C2

Where ε is the electric permittivity of free space, μ is the magnetic permeability of free space, c is the speed of light in a vaccuum, and 4π is because of how Coulomb's constant is calculated (εEA=Q and F=qE ergo F=qQ/εA, and since A=4πr2 then F=1/4πε * Qq/r2).

(on an unrelated side note, the symbol for pi looks funny and I'm not sure if I like it, it's not majestic enough and it looks awkward if I use itex tags to do it... okay, back to topic at hand)

The equations for electrostatics and gravity have been compared with almost no end. Even Tesla went so far as to attempt to attribute gravity to electromagnetism (though I don't think he ever published his theory, he just mentioned it). What I'm most interested in is the gravitational constant, G. Working backwards from G, could we perchance find the permeability/permissivity of a vacuum with respect to gravitation just as ke does for electromagnetism?

Starting with G and assuming that G = 1/4πε, we find that 1/4πG = ε. The result is 1.1924*109 kg s2 / m3. Now since ε = 1/μc2, that means 1/εc2 = μ. The result for this is 9.3314*10-27 m / kg.

What interests me the most is if this could split classical gravitation into two forces that act as one, just as magnetism and electricity do to form electromagnetism.

Thoughts? Or am I barking up the wrong tree? This thought just occurred to me and I ran straight here to ask about it. :)

Physics news on Phys.org
Maxwell's equations unified two seemingly different forces: electricity and magnetism.

This union is usually presented as four linear partial differential equations in terms of the electric and magnetic field vectors, and coupled by the fields. There are source terms for the electric field - the electric charge, which comes in two forms, positive and negative, but no sources for the magnetic field: there are no magnetic charges in Maxwell's theory.

From Maxwell's theory the Lorentz transforms of Special Relativity can be derived; the equations are invariant under this transform, but not under the Galilean transform of Newtonian mechanics. This insight leads to additional formulations of Maxwell's laws which perhaps looks simpler at first glance, but all of the same physics is encoded.

See http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/electric/maxeq.html
And for a nice introduction: http://www.maxwells-equations.com/

Newton's Universal Law of Gravitation has a single "charge": mass; thus it lacks some of the intricate structure of the electromagnetic equations. Of course the Newtonian system is also incomplete: it needs some changes to make it compatible with Special Relativity. When Einstein was done with this work he had created General Relativity, our modern theory of gravitation.

This consists of ten non-linear partial differential equations, coupled in the metric. Space and time are again coupled, as in Special Relativity, but now the coupling is more complex.

While there is no direct analog to magnetism in Newton's theory, there are many obvious similarities to static electricity: the law for gravitation and Coulomb's law for electric charges are identical in form except for mass only coming in one form of charge: always attractive, never repulsive.However, there are some magnetic analogs with Newton's theory, and more With General Relativity; this can be called gravitomagnetism: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gravitoelectromagnetism

Likes 1 person
Interesting... I wasn't taught anything about Maxwell in school, though I have heard of him somewhere before. So basically, gravity DOES have two components that behave similarly to the electric and magnetic forces, but they're so unnoticeable that it's rarely mentioned to us physics noobs. Interesting! :D

But since the GEM equations in the article were only "in a particular limiting case," doesn't that mean you'd have to apply General Relativity to Maxwell's Equations to apply the equations to gravity properly?

FysixFox said:
But since the GEM equations in the article were only "in a particular limiting case," doesn't that mean you'd have to apply General Relativity to Maxwell's Equations to apply the equations to gravity properly?

Maxwell's equations don't need to be changed; they are OK as is. They already obey Special Relativity.

The analogy isn't perfect, and is appears when the gravitating body is rotating. In General Relativity this effect shows up directly as "frame dragging".

Likes 1 person
UltrafastPED said:
Maxwell's equations don't need to be changed; they are OK as is. They already obey Special Relativity.

The analogy isn't perfect, and is appears when the gravitating body is rotating. In General Relativity this effect shows up directly as "frame dragging".

Ah, I see. Thank you! :)

1. What are the classical electromagnetism and gravitation constants?

The classical electromagnetism and gravitation constants are two fundamental physical constants that play a crucial role in describing the behavior of electric and magnetic fields as well as the force of gravity. The classical electromagnetism constant, denoted as μ0, is equal to 4π x 10^-7 N/A^2 and is used to calculate the strength of magnetic fields produced by electric currents. The gravitation constant, denoted as G, is equal to 6.674 x 10^-11 Nm^2/kg^2 and is used in Newton's law of universal gravitation to calculate the force of attraction between two objects with mass.

2. How were the classical electromagnetism and gravitation constants first determined?

The classical electromagnetism constant was first calculated by the French physicist André-Marie Ampère in the early 19th century through his experiments on the interaction between electric currents. The gravitation constant was first determined by the English physicist Henry Cavendish in the late 18th century through his experiments on the force of attraction between two masses.

3. Are the classical electromagnetism and gravitation constants universal?

Yes, the classical electromagnetism and gravitation constants are considered to be universal constants, meaning they have the same value throughout the universe. This has been confirmed through various experiments and observations, including the precision measurements of the cosmic microwave background radiation.

4. How do the classical electromagnetism and gravitation constants relate to each other?

The classical electromagnetism constant and gravitation constant are both involved in the fundamental equations that describe the behavior of electric and magnetic fields, as well as the force of gravity. In particular, the product of these two constants, μ0G, is equal to the speed of light squared (c^2), which is a fundamental relationship in the theory of relativity.

5. Have there been any attempts to unify the classical electromagnetism and gravitation constants?

Yes, many scientists and researchers have attempted to unify the classical electromagnetism and gravitation constants through various theories and models, such as string theory and loop quantum gravity. However, a complete and satisfactory unification has not yet been achieved, and this remains an active area of research in theoretical physics.