Register to reply

Splitting pattern nmr

by katiecool
Tags: pattern, splitting
Share this thread:
katiecool
Jul1-14, 02:12 PM
P: 4
I am struggling to understand how to determine splitting patterns for molecules. For example, (see attached) I was trying to determine the splitting pattern for CH2 in the molecule. On the right i believe n is equal to 1 and on the right it is equal to 3, but i am not sure if this is correct. A doublet quartet doesn't make any sense to me and that is what i seem to conclude. The addition of the OH is really throwing me off. Also, on top of that how would i begin to determine which is farthest down field! Any help would be great!
Attached Thumbnails
747.jpg  
Phys.Org News Partner Chemistry news on Phys.org
Scientists develop 'electronic nose' for rapid detection of C. diff infection
A new synthetic amino acid for an emerging class of drugs
Team pioneers strategy for creating new materials
Greg Bernhardt
Jul8-14, 10:40 PM
Admin
P: 9,575
I'm sorry you are not generating any responses at the moment. Is there any additional information you can share with us? Any new findings?
katiecool
Jul9-14, 02:31 PM
I think that i am miss understanding how to determine which are equivalent hydrogen's. Equivalent hydrogen's act as a group. On both CH3's all the hydrogen's are equivalent. so "n" for both CH3's are equal to one. Thus i think it may be n=4 and n+1=5 so the splitting pattern would be a pentet? Can confirm that i am right?

sjb-2812
Jul10-14, 01:57 AM
P: 427
Splitting pattern nmr

You were more right the first time. It may be that the J values are similar so it looks like a quintet, but this is just a resolution thing. As to which is more downfield, what kind of groups have downfield resonances in general?
katiecool
Jul10-14, 12:40 PM
I agree, but what i wrote the first time is something i learned outside of my notes. A pentet was something in my notes. So a pentet is possible? and i think that it would be the the part of the molecule with the fewest hydrogens.....so CH i think would be the farthest downfield?
sjb-2812
Jul12-14, 02:59 AM
P: 427
A quintet would be more possible if you were only coupling to a nucleus with spin I=2, it's certainly not impossible.

I agree that the CH would be the most down field, but not because it has the fewest hydrogens. The CH in terminal alkynes for instance resonates at about δ3-4 from memory. Look into the electronic environment of the protons. I can see a similar thread on chemicalforums.com; it may be worth looking there too.

Register to reply