What Is True About Sinusoidal Electromagnetic Waves?

In summary, the true statement concerning a sinusoidal varying electromagnetic wave is that the average magnetic field in the wave is zero. The energy in the wave is mostly associated with the electric field because the magnetic field has a very small value. The total energy in the wave is proportional to the sum of amplitudes of the electric and magnetic fields. The energy density in the wave is proportional to the amplitude of the magnetic field. The wave's intensity is inversely proportional to the energy density in the wave. It is possible to bend light using electrical or magnetic fields, which can be used to create powerful telescopes without refractions or mirrors.
Annie1011
I have a question given to me by my professor:

Which statement is true concerning a sinusoidal varying electromagnetic wave?

a) The energy in the wave is mostly associated with the electric field because the magnetic field has a very small value. The reason for this is that B=E/c and "c" is a large number (c=speed of light, 3*10^8 m/s)

b) The momentum in the wave is zero because the wave continuously oscillates between positive and negative values.

c) The average magnetic field in the wave is zero.

d) The total energy in the wave is proportional to the sum of amplitudes of the electric and magnetic fields.

e) The energy density in the wave is proportional to the amplitude of the magnetic field.

f) The wave's intensity is inversely proportional to the energy density in the wave.

So far I have ruled out b, e (it should be proportional to the square of the electric field), and f (it is directly proportional). Other than this progress I am stuck. So any advice on how to rule out any other answers, or if I have ruled out the incorrect answer would be greatly appreciated!

I also have a question with an inductor that is connected to a sinusoidal varying voltage source, and one question asks for the reactance of the inductor, and I am caught up on the verbiage and do not know where to start.

Thanks for your time and help!

Physics news on Phys.org
For a) Apply the formula for the energy density of an electromagnetic field:

[tex]u=\frac{1}{2}\left(\epsilon_0E^2+\frac{1}{\mu_0}B^2\right)[/tex]

and the relation between E and B for your wave.

An amature question

How to bend light using electrical fields or magnetic fields ?

Since Light are electromagnetic waves.

The answer to this question can be used to create most powerfull telescopes without refractions or mirrors.

I found out that the answer to this is c. Thansk for the replys!

Annie

1. What are electromagnetic waves?

Electromagnetic waves are a type of energy that can travel through space or matter. They are made up of oscillating electric and magnetic fields and can range in wavelength from very long radio waves to very short gamma rays.

2. How do electromagnetic waves travel?

Electromagnetic waves travel at the speed of light, which is approximately 300,000 kilometers per second. They do not require a medium to travel through, meaning they can travel through the vacuum of space.

3. How are electromagnetic waves created?

Electromagnetic waves are created when an electric charge accelerates. This can happen through a variety of processes, such as when an electric current flows through a wire or when an atom undergoes a nuclear reaction.

4. What are the properties of electromagnetic waves?

Electromagnetic waves have several properties, including wavelength, frequency, amplitude, and polarization. Wavelength is the distance between two consecutive peaks or troughs of the wave. Frequency is the number of wave cycles that pass a given point in one second. Amplitude is the height of the wave, and polarization refers to the orientation of the electric and magnetic fields.

5. What are some common uses of electromagnetic waves?

Electromagnetic waves have a wide range of applications in our daily lives. Radio waves are used for communication, while microwaves are used for cooking. Infrared waves are used in remote controls and thermal imaging cameras. Visible light allows us to see, and ultraviolet waves are used in sterilization processes. X-rays and gamma rays are used in medical imaging and cancer treatment.