Powering Homes with 10,000,000 Volts

• Thread starter niallniall
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Volts
In summary, the conversation discusses a nonsensical question about powering standard homes with a constant supply of voltage. It is clarified that this is not a homework question and the forum is not meant to provide solutions. It is mentioned that the question is impossible to answer without knowing either the required voltage for each house or the total amount of energy that can be produced.
niallniall
How many standard homes using 3,600 kwh of electricty annually could be powered with a constant supply of 10,000,000 volts ?

Physics news on Phys.org
https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=94379

Please see the above thread

This is not a homework question I am 25 years old :)

Still, we are not here to provide solutions.

I'm sorry if I have done anything wrong but I thought this forum was for people to ask questions that they don't know the answer to.

Please correct me if I am wrong

The idea is that you show some of your working or thoughts and we guide you through so you get the solution yourself. We do not provide solutions (unless we think it will help you with the process). Please show us some of yuor working or thoughts and we will help.

niallniall said:
This is not a homework question I am 25 years old :)

And in any event you posted under "Homework and Coursework Questions." :biggrin:

-Dan

Please don't post general questions in homework & coursework unless you want it to be treated as such.

The problem is that the question is non-sense (which of course means it can't be homework in disguise hehe). It is like saying "How many houses that use 55 gallons of water per minute can I supply with 40,000 PSI of water." Volts is a kind of electrical pressure (although that's not really a good definition) whereas KiloWatt-hours is a kind of equivalency to "gallons" of water. It's impossible to say you can water such and such # of houses with 40,000 PSI using only the # of gallons used by each house because what you really need to know is one of the following; the required pressure for each house given a pressure/house requirement and a total pressure achievement (which means you would only be dealing with pressures and not how many gallons can actually be supplied) or how much a house needs in gallons vs. how many gallons you are capable of producing.

With electricity it's the same thing. You can either provide a certain # of houses with 120V of voltage knowing the starting voltage (say nothing towards how much actual energy you can provide) or the # of houses you can supply with energy given that you can produce x amount of energy per year.

1. How is it possible to power homes with 10,000,000 volts?

The key to powering homes with such high voltage is through the use of step-up transformers. These transformers are able to increase the voltage of electricity from the power grid to 10,000,000 volts. However, this high voltage is then stepped down through a series of smaller transformers before entering the home to a safer level for household appliances.

2. Is it safe to have 10,000,000 volts running through homes?

While 10,000,000 volts may sound dangerous, the voltage is not the only factor to consider when determining safety. The current, or amount of electricity flowing through a circuit, is also important. By using transformers to step down the voltage and limiting the current with circuit breakers, the electricity is safe for household use.

3. What are the benefits of using 10,000,000 volts to power homes?

One of the main benefits of using higher voltage is that it allows for more efficient transmission of electricity. With higher voltage, less current is needed to transmit the same amount of power, reducing energy losses and increasing the overall efficiency of the system. This can also lead to cost savings for consumers.

4. Are there any risks associated with using 10,000,000 volts in homes?

While the use of 10,000,000 volts is generally safe, there are some risks to consider. As with any electrical system, there is always a risk of electric shock if proper safety precautions are not followed. Additionally, the equipment used to handle and distribute high voltage electricity must be carefully maintained and monitored to prevent malfunctions or accidents.

5. How does this technology impact the environment?

The use of 10,000,000 volts to power homes can have a positive impact on the environment. As mentioned earlier, higher voltage allows for more efficient transmission of electricity, which can reduce the amount of energy needed to power homes. This can help to lower carbon emissions and decrease the overall environmental impact of electricity production.