Proving A,B and C are Collinear

• Thread starter danago
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about proving that points A, B, and C are collinear using vectors. The initial approach was to show that the i and j components of the vectors have a set ratio. However, another method suggested in the conversation is to use the dot product or cross product, or to show that all the vectors are on the same line. Ultimately, the conclusion is that since AB and BC have a common point, they are parallel and therefore collinear.
danago
Gold Member
I merged the duplicate thread. This post cannot be deleted!

Integral

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
If A, B and C all lie on the same line, then what can you say about the direction of the lines, AB,AC ?

Hey. Heres the question:

Points A, B and C have position vectors 3i-j, -i+15j and 9i-25j respectively. Use vectors to prove that A, B and C are collinear.

Ive drawn a diagram:
http://img2.freeimagehosting.net/uploads/b74251caf2.gif

a=3i-j
b=-i+15j
c=9i-25j

So pretty much, i think i need to prove that [tex]\overrightarrow{BA}=h\overrightarrow{BC}[/tex]

Ive found that
[tex]\overrightarrow{BA}=\overrightarrow{BO}+\overrightarrow{OA}[/tex]
[tex]=-b+a[/tex]
[tex]=4i-16j[/tex]

[tex]\overrightarrow{BC}=\overrightarrow{BO}+\overrightarrow{OC}[/tex]
[tex]=-b+c[/tex]
[tex]=10i-40j[/tex]

From that, i can see that the i and j components have a set ratio. ie. i:j = 1:4.

For this question, what would i write as my final proof that the three points are collinear? I would use the answers page in my textbook, but it doesn't give answers to questions that are more than 1 line :devil:

Thanks in advance,
Dan.

Last edited by a moderator:
You solution is correct up to the same ratio bit.
Thereafter, sinmply say that, because of the same ratio,
|BC| is a multiple of |AB|
hence BC and AB are parallel.
Since they share a common point, B, then they are collinear.

BTW, your sketch looks like it has OA at (3i + j) rather than (3i - j)

ok thanks very much for that.

And yea, i made a mistake in my sketch.

Hmm...
Is there an example in the text somewhere?
Since 'use vectors to' is pretty vauge, you can do this a bunch of ways.

For example, you could use the dot product
[tex]\frac{(\vec{b}-\vec{c}) \cdot (\vec{a}-\vec{b})}{| (\vec{b}-\vec{c})| |(\vec{a}-\vec{b})|}=\pm 1[/tex]
or the cross product
[tex](\vec{b}-\vec{c}) \times (\vec{a}-\vec{b}) = \vec{0}[/tex]

Or you could show that all the vectors are on the line
[tex]y=-4x+11[/tex]

Or your drawing works

Last edited:

1. How do you prove that points A, B, and C are collinear?

To prove that points A, B, and C are collinear, you need to show that they lie on the same straight line. This can be done by extending the line segments AB and BC and checking if they intersect at a single point. If they do, then points A, B, and C are collinear.

2. What is the significance of proving collinearity between points A, B, and C?

Proving collinearity between points A, B, and C is important in geometry as it provides information about the relationship between these points. If they are collinear, it means that they lie on the same line, which can help in solving geometric problems and making accurate measurements.

3. What are some methods for proving collinearity between points A, B, and C?

There are several methods for proving collinearity between points A, B, and C. These include the slope method, vector method, and coordinate geometry method. Each method involves different steps and equations, but ultimately they all aim to show that the points lie on the same straight line.

4. Can points A, B, and C be collinear even if they are not on the same line?

No, points A, B, and C cannot be collinear if they are not on the same line. Collinear points, by definition, must lie on the same straight line. If the points are not on the same line, then they are not collinear.

5. Are there any real-world applications for proving collinearity between points A, B, and C?

Yes, proving collinearity between points A, B, and C has many real-world applications. For example, in architecture and construction, proving collinearity can help in accurately determining the placement of structural elements such as beams or columns. In surveying, collinearity can help in creating accurate maps and measurements of land. It is also used in navigation and GPS systems to determine the location of points on a map.