Highest possible temperature = Planck temperature?

In summary, there is no such thing as an infinitely high temperature, according to thermodynamics. While the theory does not rule out infinite temperatures, it is not physically possible to heat an object to such a temperature as it would require a hotter body, which is not possible at infinite temperatures.
Lisa...
Hey there!

Today I've had a discussion with my professor on the existence of a so called highest possible temperature. I've read somewhere that this is called the Planck temperature, but my teacher believes an object can be heaten to an infinitely high temperature and he was very sure of his case.
I must say he loved to humiliate me in front of the whole class and I do feel very bad about it, so I just wanted to know what do you guys think?

Science news on Phys.org
http://curious.astro.cornell.edu/question.php?number=136 [Broken]

It is interesting that infinite temperatures are not ruled out by the theory of thermodynamics, but it is also interesting that it is not possible to heat a body to an infinite temperature. In order to heat a body you need a hotter body - which is not possible when you reach infinite temperatures.

Last edited by a moderator:
Lisa... said:
Hey there!

Today I've had a discussion with my professor on the existence of a so called highest possible temperature. I've read somewhere that this is called the Planck temperature, but my teacher believes an object can be heaten to an infinitely high temperature and he was very sure of his case.
I must say he loved to humiliate me in front of the whole class and I do feel very bad about it, so I just wanted to know what do you guys think?

Did your professor really say that, or did he say that an object can be heated to any temperature, no matter how high? Those are different statements- there is no such thing as "infinitely high temperature".

He literally said: 'An object can be heaten to an infinitely high temperature', just as I wrote.

1. What is the highest possible temperature?

The highest possible temperature is known as the Planck temperature, which is approximately 1.416 x 10^32 Kelvin. This temperature is considered the absolute limit of the universe.

2. How is the Planck temperature calculated?

The Planck temperature is calculated using Planck's constant, the speed of light, and the gravitational constant. It is derived from the Planck temperature formula T = (h c^5) / (G k^2), where h is Planck's constant, c is the speed of light, G is the gravitational constant, and k is Boltzmann's constant.

3. Why is the Planck temperature considered the highest possible temperature?

The Planck temperature is considered the highest possible temperature because it is the point at which the forces of gravity and quantum mechanics become equal and indistinguishable. At this temperature, the laws of physics as we know them break down, and our current understanding of the universe cannot explain what happens.

4. Can the Planck temperature be reached or exceeded?

No, the Planck temperature cannot be reached or exceeded. It is considered the maximum temperature that can exist in the universe, and it is physically impossible for any object or material to reach this temperature.

5. What are some real-life examples of temperatures compared to the Planck temperature?

The Planck temperature is incredibly high and far beyond the temperatures we experience in our everyday lives. For comparison, the surface of the sun has a temperature of about 5,778 Kelvin, while the highest recorded temperature on Earth was 3.6 x 10^8 Kelvin in a laboratory experiment. The temperature of the Big Bang is estimated to be around 1 x 10^32 Kelvin, which is close to the Planck temperature.