Definite Integrals and Area

In summary, the conversation involves understanding how to use integration to find the area of shaded regions and how to evaluate definite integrals. The question asks if the same steps are used for both directions and if absolute values and finding zeros are required for both. The conversation also clarifies that the two directions are separate and not for each individual problem. Ultimately, to find the area, the integrals need to be split into parts and the definite integral needs to be evaluated, which could result in positive, negative, or zero values.
Jacobpm64
ok, my question involves two different sets of directions ..

1. Use integration to find the area of each shaded region.
2. Evaluate each definite integral.

Ok, my question is this... do i do the same thing for both of these directions? ..

Even further... say I have a function that goes over and under the x-axis.. and I'm asked to find the area when the function is bounded in such a way that the area would be both over and under the x-axis... For direction #1, i would find the zeros of the function and use the fundamental theorem of calculus and do each part separately.. taking the absolute value of each.. and adding the two areas together.. ok.. i got that.. but for #2.. do i do the same thing? or would i just apply the fundamental theorem of calculus without absolute values and without finding zeros?

A good example would be:
http://img400.imageshack.us/img400/6026/integralquestion7ht.gif

Is this done correctly? or would i still do any absolute value or splitting into regions with direction #2?

If I'm correct.. Direction #2 can have negative values or even 0, and direction #1 will always have positive values?

Please clarify all this someone.. thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I believe that the question is just asking you to set up two different integrals for the region -1 to 1... For this, you'd have to split it up into two pieces, as you did, and solve.

So direction one I think is asking you to just figure out and set up the integrals.

Direction two is asking you to solve, I believe. But what you did first was correct, I believe.

well, thing is.. it's not two different directions for the same problem.. i just used that example as.. an example lol... they have one whole section of about 10 problems with the 1st direction.. then they have another 10 problems asking to be solved using the 2nd direction..

it's not both for each problem

Jacobpm64 said:
well, thing is.. it's not two different directions for the same problem.. i just used that example as.. an example lol... they have one whole section of about 10 problems with the 1st direction.. then they have another 10 problems asking to be solved using the 2nd direction..

it's not both for each problem

I think you have the right idea, for the first part you need to split the integrals into parts that are either above or below the x-axis and then find the integral of each part, taking the opposite of the negative ones and then adding them. For the second part it would just be to evaluate the definite integral which could en up being positive, negative, or zero.

thanks for the clarification

1. What is a definite integral?

A definite integral is a mathematical concept used to find the area under a curve between two points on a graph. It is represented by the symbol ∫, and is a way to calculate the total area of a function's curve within a specific interval.

2. What is the difference between a definite integral and an indefinite integral?

A definite integral has specific limits of integration, while an indefinite integral does not. This means that a definite integral gives a numerical value, while an indefinite integral gives a general formula. In other words, a definite integral is a number, while an indefinite integral is a function.

3. How is the area under a curve calculated using a definite integral?

The area under a curve can be calculated using the formula ∫(from a to b) f(x) dx, where f(x) is the function and a and b are the limits of integration. This means that the area is equal to the integral of the function between the two limits.

4. Why is the definite integral important in mathematics?

The definite integral is important in mathematics because it allows us to find the area under a curve, which has many real-world applications. It is also used to calculate the volume of irregular shapes, and is a fundamental tool in calculus and other branches of mathematics.

5. Can a definite integral have a negative value?

Yes, a definite integral can have a negative value. This can happen if the function being integrated has negative values within the interval of integration. In this case, the area under the curve will be subtracted from the total area, resulting in a negative value.