Analysing the Isomorphism between G3 & K3,3 and Planarity of Gn

• Thread starter Natasha1
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Isomorphism
In summary, the conversation is about a graph representing a regular 2n sided polygon and its additional edges formed by diagonals. The first question is about showing isomorphism between G3 and K3,3, and the second question asks for the value of n for which Gn is planar and why it becomes non-planar for values greater than that. In order to solve these questions, one needs to understand the concepts of isomorphism, K3, 3, the theorem relating it to nonplanar graphs, and homeomorphism.
Natasha1
I wondered if someone could help me with the following problem.

Gn (n >= 2) is a graph representing the vertices abd edges of a regular 2n sided polygon, with additional edges formed by the diagonals for each vertex joined to the vertex opposite i.e. vertex 1 is joined to n+1, vertex 2 to n+2 and so on, vertex n to 2n.

1) How can I show that G3 is isomorphic to K3,3?

2) How can I state (with reason) a value of n for which Gn is planar. Explaining why for all values greater than this value of n, Gn will be non-planar?

:frown:

Physics news on Phys.org
In 1. first you have to decide which vertices in G3 map to which vertices in K3, 3. (Draw a picture of K3, 3 and of G3) Then verify that for the mapping you decided on, the edges map correctly.

In 2. can you find a subgraph homeomorphic to K3, 3 in G4?

0rthodontist said:
In 1. first you have to decide which vertices in G3 map to which vertices in K3, 3. (Draw a picture of K3, 3 and of G3) Then verify that for the mapping you decided on, the edges map correctly.

In 2. can you find a subgraph homeomorphic to K3, 3 in G4?

I'm very new to all this. I just picked up a textbook and I'm trying to teach myself.

Seems quite complex

You need to know:
what an isomorphism is
what K3, 3 is
the theorem relating K3, 3 to nonplanar graphs
what a homeomorphism is

If you know these things it's not a complex problem.

What is Isomorphism?

Isomorphism is a mathematical concept that refers to two structures that have the same underlying structure, but may differ in their representation.

What is the difference between G3 & K3,3?

G3 and K3,3 are both graphs, but they differ in their structure. G3 is a planar graph, meaning it can be drawn on a flat surface without any edges crossing. K3,3 is a non-planar graph, meaning it cannot be drawn on a flat surface without edges crossing.

How do you analyze the isomorphism between G3 & K3,3?

To analyze the isomorphism between G3 and K3,3, you would compare the structures of the two graphs. Look for any patterns or similarities in the vertices and edges of the graphs. If there is a way to map the vertices and edges of one graph onto the other without changing the structure, then the graphs are isomorphic.

What is the significance of the isomorphism between G3 & K3,3?

The isomorphism between G3 and K3,3 is significant because it helps us understand the relationship between different types of graphs. It also allows us to identify and classify graphs based on their structural similarities.

How does the planarity of Gn affect its isomorphism with other graphs?

The planarity of Gn plays a crucial role in determining its isomorphism with other graphs. If Gn is non-planar, it may not be isomorphic with any other graph. However, if Gn is planar, it may be isomorphic with certain types of graphs, such as other planar graphs.