What Happens to the Refraction Angle as the Incident Angle Nears 90 Degrees?

In summary, Snell's Law, also known as the law of refraction, is a formula that describes the relationship between the angles of incidence and refraction for a wave or ray passing through the boundary between two different mediums. The formula for Snell's Law is n<sub>1</sub>sinθ<sub>1</sub> = n<sub>2</sub>sinθ<sub>2</sub>, where n<sub>1</sub> and n<sub>2</sub> are the refractive indices of the two mediums, and θ<sub>1</sub> and θ<sub>2</sub> are the angles of incidence and refraction, respectively. It
ohlhauc1
I have a question concerning this question:

Predict what will happen as the incident angle approaches 90 degress, and develop a method to test the prediction.

I say the refraction angle would also be 90 degrees (remaining a horizontal line), so my method would be to align the laser I'm using to the 90 degree mark and shine it so that just enough of it passes through the medium.

Is that correct and if not, any suggestions?

Physics news on Phys.org
I would also put a barrier to help align the laser.

Your prediction is correct. As the incident angle approaches 90 degrees, the refraction angle will also approach 90 degrees. This is because at this angle, the light is entering the medium almost parallel to the surface, causing it to barely bend. To test this prediction, you could use a laser and a protractor to measure the incident and refracted angles as you gradually increase the incident angle towards 90 degrees. You could also use a transparent medium, such as a glass block, and observe how the laser beam behaves as the incident angle approaches 90 degrees. These methods would allow you to confirm Snell's Law and the relationship between incident and refracted angles.

1. What is Snell's Law?

Snell's Law, also known as the law of refraction, is a formula that describes the relationship between the angles of incidence and refraction for a wave or ray passing through the boundary between two different mediums.

2. How is Snell's Law calculated?

The formula for Snell's Law is n1sinθ1 = n2sinθ2, where n1 and n2 are the refractive indices of the two mediums, and θ1 and θ2 are the angles of incidence and refraction, respectively.

3. What is the relationship between the angles of incidence and refraction in Snell's Law?

Snell's Law states that the ratio of the sine of the angle of incidence to the sine of the angle of refraction is equal to the ratio of the refractive indices of the two mediums.

4. What factors affect the refraction of light according to Snell's Law?

The refraction of light is affected by the difference in refractive indices between the two mediums, as well as the angle of incidence of the light ray. Additionally, the wavelength of the light and the surface characteristics of the mediums can also play a role in refraction.

5. What is the practical application of Snell's Law?

Snell's Law is used in many practical applications, such as in the design of lenses for glasses and cameras, the refraction of light in fiber optics, and the study of atmospheric refraction in meteorology.