Fusion vs Fission: Learn the Difference

In summary, the conversation was about the differences between fusion and fission, with the questioner seeking help and resources. The responder provided several web-links with basic and more in-depth explanations of the two concepts.
pavadrin
Hey,
I was wondering if somebody out there might be able to help with my problem, by posting a suitable web-link if they happen to know one. I need to know the differences between Fusion and Fission. I understand that fusion is when atoms of a light element are combined to an atom of a heavier element, and that fission is the splitting of a heavier atom. However that is where my knowledge ends. Thanks in advance to those who reply,
Pavadrin

Physics news on Phys.org
Depends on the level of knowledge you want...

http://www.wpbschoolhouse.btinternet.co.uk/page03/3_54radio.htm

( and then click on the relevant links)

http://www.s-cool.co.uk/topic_quicklearn.asp?loc=ql&topic_id=7&quicklearn_id=6&subject_id=16&ebt=319&ebn=&ebs=&ebl=&elc=4

These are good intro / basic sites...

Any good?

EaGG

Last edited by a moderator:
thank you EaGG

1. What is the difference between fusion and fission?

Fusion is the process of combining two or more atomic nuclei to form a heavier nucleus, while fission is the process of splitting a heavy nucleus into two or more lighter nuclei.

2. Which one is used in nuclear power plants?

Nuclear power plants use fission reactions to generate electricity.

3. Which one is more powerful?

In terms of energy released per reaction, fusion is more powerful than fission. However, fission reactions can be sustained for a longer period of time, making it more practical for energy production.

4. What are the potential benefits of fusion vs fission?

Fusion reactions have the potential to produce vast amounts of clean energy, with no greenhouse gas emissions or long-term radioactive waste. Fission reactions, on the other hand, are currently a more established and reliable source of energy.

5. Is fusion currently being used for energy production?

While scientists have achieved fusion reactions in laboratory settings, it has not yet been successfully harnessed for practical energy production. Extensive research and development is still needed before fusion can become a viable source of energy.