Rotational kinematics and grinding wheel

In summary, the conversation discusses the problem of finding the number of revolutions an electric fan makes in a given time interval, as well as finding the exact time it comes to a stop. The solution involves calculating the rotation speed and deceleration at the time the circuit breaker trips, and then using those values to find the time it takes to decelerate to a stop.
ACLerok
i've been doing some physics problems out of the text and I was wondering: If an electric fan were to be turned off and you knew its angular acceleration, it is possible to find the number of revolutions it makes in a certain time interval?

also, i having a difficult time with this problem.

At t=0 a grinding wheel has an angular velocity of 22. rad/s. It has a constant angular acceleration of 32. rad/s^2 until a circuit breaker trips at time t=1.7 s. From then on, it turns through an angle 433. rad as it coasts to a stop at constant angular acceleration.
I was able to find the total angle the wheel had turned between t=0 to the time it comes to a rest to be 516.64 rad, but now i have to find at what exact time it comes to a stop.. any pointers and tips are greatly appreciated.

thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Originally posted by ACLerok
At t=0 a grinding wheel has an angular velocity of 22. rad/s. It has a constant angular acceleration of 32. rad/s^2 until a circuit breaker trips at time t=1.7 s. From then on, it turns through an angle 433. rad as it coasts to a stop at constant angular acceleration.
I was able to find the total angle the wheel had turned between t=0 to the time it comes to a rest to be 516.64 rad, but now i have to find at what exact time it comes to a stop.. any pointers and tips are greatly appreciated.

thanks

1. find the rotation speed when the breaker tripped (Wf = Wi + a*t)
2. find the deceleration from when breaker tripped (Wf^2 = Wi^2 + 2ad)
3. find the time it took took to decelerate (d = Wi*t + (1/2)a*t^2)

That should work.

Yes, it is possible to find the number of revolutions a fan makes in a certain time interval if you know its angular acceleration. This can be done by using the equation:

Δθ = ω0t + 1/2αt^2

Where Δθ is the total angle turned, ω0 is the initial angular velocity, α is the angular acceleration, and t is the time interval.

In the case of the grinding wheel problem, you can use the same equation to find the time it takes for the wheel to come to a stop. You already have the values for ω0, α, and Δθ, so you can rearrange the equation to solve for t. Once you have the time, you can subtract 1.7 seconds (the time when the circuit breaker trips) to find the exact time the wheel comes to a stop.

As for tips, make sure to pay attention to the units of your values. In this problem, the units for angular velocity and acceleration are in radians per second and radians per second squared, respectively. Also, double check your calculations and make sure to use the correct formula for the given scenario. Keep practicing and you will get better at solving these types of problems. Good luck!

1. What is rotational kinematics?

Rotational kinematics is the study of the motion of objects that are rotating or moving in a circular motion. It involves understanding concepts such as angular velocity, angular acceleration, and rotational inertia.

2. How is rotational kinematics related to grinding wheel?

Grinding wheels are often used to remove material from a workpiece by rotating at high speeds. Rotational kinematics is important in understanding the behavior of the grinding wheel, such as how it moves and how it affects the material being ground.

3. What factors affect the rotational kinematics of a grinding wheel?

The rotational speed, diameter, and composition of the grinding wheel can all affect its rotational kinematics. The material and shape of the workpiece being ground can also play a role in the motion of the grinding wheel.

4. How does rotational kinematics impact the quality of a grinding process?

The proper understanding and control of rotational kinematics is crucial in achieving a high-quality grinding process. This includes ensuring the grinding wheel is rotating at the correct speed and with the right amount of force to achieve the desired outcome.

5. What are some common challenges in studying rotational kinematics and grinding wheel?

One common challenge is accurately measuring and maintaining the speed of the grinding wheel. Another challenge is understanding the effects of variables such as friction and heat on the motion of the grinding wheel. Additionally, there may be safety concerns when working with rotating machinery.