Quadratic congruences with prime modulus

In summary, we want to show that if p == 1 mod 4, then (a/p) = (-a/p). To do this, we can use Euler's criterion, which states that if a is a quadratic residue modulo p (i.e. there exists a number k such that k^2 ≡ a (mod p)), then a^(p-1)/2 ≡ 1 (mod p) and if a is not a quadratic residue modulo p, then a^(p-1)/2 ≡ -1 (mod p). We can also use the fact that (-a/p) = (-1/p)*(a/p). When p == 1 mod 4, (-1)^(p-1)/
Ch1ronTL34
The question is:

Show that if p == 1 mod 4, then (a/p) = (-a/p).
(Note that == means congruent).

I know that if X^2==a mod p (p is a prime) is solvable then a is a quadratic residue of p.

For an example, I let p = 5 since 5==1 mod 4. Then, I let X = 2 and 4 just to check the equation. So:

2^2==-1 mod 5...a=-1 is quadratic residue.
4^2==1 mod 5...a=1 is quadratic residue.

I know that the legendre symbol (a/p) is 1 if a is a quadratic residue mod p and -1 if a is a quadratic non-residue.

From my example, (-1/5)=1 and (1/5)=1, so I have found an example that shows (a/p) = (-a/p) but I'm having trouble proving it in general.

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Do you know anything about (-1/p)? Have you seen Euler's criteron?

p = 1 (mod 4) implies (-1/p) = 1.

shmoe said:
Do you know anything about (-1/p)? Have you seen Euler's criteron?

No shmoe, I don't know anything about (-1/p) and I just did some research on Euler's criterion:

if a is quadratic residue modulo p (i.e. there exists a number k such that k^2 ≡ a (mod p)), then

a^(p − 1)/2 ≡ 1 (mod p)
and if a is not a quadratic residue modulo p then

a^(p − 1)/2 ≡ −1 (mod p).

I'm not really seeing the connection of why this helps...thanks again

If you are happy using Euler's criterion, how do

a^(p-1)/2 mod p

and

(-a)^(p-1)/2 mod p

compare when p=1 mod 4?

Also, by looking at (-1)^(p-1)/2 mod p, you can prove what AKG posted with Euler's.

If this is for a class, you should try to prove it using methods you've covered though. What do you know so far about the legendre symbol?

This is for a class but he didn't teach us ANYTHING about the legendre symbol. I'm guessing that 1 mod 4 implies (-1/p)=1 is critical but i still don't really understand.

I took shmoe's advice and found that, when p==1 mod 4
a^(p-1)/2 mod 5 equals (-a)^(p-1)/2 mod 5

Ch1ronTL34 said:
This is for a class but he didn't teach us ANYTHING about the legendre symbol. I'm guessing that 1 mod 4 implies (-1/p)=1 is critical but i still don't really understand.

Oi, do you at least have a text you're expected to have access to?

Ch1ronTL34 said:
I took shmoe's advice and found that, when p==1 mod 4
a^(p-1)/2 mod 5 equals (-a)^(p-1)/2 mod 5

5 is just one specific example of such a prime, but we can go with this a little bit. More important is what happens in the exponent, when p is 5, (p-1)/2=2. and you have:

a^(p-1)/2 =a^2 mod 5

and

(-a)^(p-1)/2 =(-a)^2=(-1)^2 * a^2 =a^2 mod 5

So you'd have

a^(p-1)/2 = (-a)^(p-1)/2 mod 5

and therefore (a/p)=(-a/p)

What was important here is the (-1)^(p-1)/2 part. It was 1 when p=5 above. What can you say about (-1)^(p-1)/2 when p=1 mod 4?

This is really asking about (-1/p). It comes in here because (-a/p)=(-1/p)*(a/p). More generally you'd have (a*b/p)=(a/p)*(b/p).

Yes shmoe, I do have a textbook..."Elementary Theory of Numbers" by William J. LeVeque. Unlike most mathbooks, this one is about 100 pages and very small...though its size has proven to be misleading...ANYWAYS:

When p==1 mod 4, (-1)^(p-1)/2 will be an even number because p will be odd (p=4d+1 for some d) and (p-1)/2 will be an even number...(-1)^even number is 1.

LeVeque is a nice little book. It works in the ties with abstract algebra well.

Ch1ronTL34 said:
When p==1 mod 4, (-1)^(p-1)/2 will be an even number because p will be odd (p=4d+1 for some d) and (p-1)/2 will be an even number...(-1)^even number is 1.

Exactly. If p=3 mod 4, (p-1)/2 would have been odd, so you'd end up with -1, and you hopefully see (-1/p) is completely determined by p mod 4.

Back to your problem, you should now be able to show

(-a)^(p-1)/2 = a^(p-1)/2 mod p

when p=1 mod 4, by just pulling out the -1 from the left hand side like I did above. That's pretty much it.

Alright I think I get it now. Thanks so much for the help shmoe!

1. What is a quadratic congruence with prime modulus?

A quadratic congruence with prime modulus is an equation in the form ax^2 + bx + c ≡ 0 (mod p), where p is a prime number. The goal is to find values for x that satisfy the equation.

2. How do you solve a quadratic congruence with prime modulus?

To solve a quadratic congruence with prime modulus, you can use the quadratic formula or complete the square method. You can also use the properties of modular arithmetic, such as multiplying both sides by the modular inverse of a to eliminate the coefficient of x^2.

3. What is the difference between a quadratic congruence with prime modulus and a quadratic equation?

A quadratic congruence with prime modulus is a type of modular arithmetic problem, while a quadratic equation is a standard algebraic equation. In a quadratic congruence, the solutions are found in a specific modulus, while in a quadratic equation, the solutions are in the real number system.

4. Can a quadratic congruence have multiple solutions?

Yes, a quadratic congruence can have multiple solutions. In fact, there can be up to two solutions in a prime modulus. However, some modulus may have no solutions, such as when the discriminant is not a quadratic residue in that modulus.

5. What are some real-world applications of quadratic congruences with prime modulus?

Quadratic congruences with prime modulus have practical applications in cryptography, specifically in the RSA algorithm. They are also used in coding theory, error-correcting codes, and pseudorandom number generation.