"Proving Variable Independence in a Network Using Markov Blanket"

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of a simple proof for a variable being independent of other variables in a Bayesian network, given its Markov blanket. The definition of a variable and "independent" in this context are also clarified. The speaker has not yet found the answer and is waiting to hear back from the other person.
0rthodontist
Science Advisor
Is there a simple (meaning, memorable and not just a lot of crunching through probability formulas) proof that a variable is independent of the other variables in the network, given its Markov blanket?

Technology news on Phys.org
Were you able to get this yet?

Is "a variable", node A in the Markov blanket? And "the other variables in the network" any node that does not belong to the blanket?

If so, then define independant?

--No, I have not yet found this out

--A variable is a node in the Bayesian network, together with its conditional probability table

--"Independent" is used in the standard statistical sense

If you get it, let me know. I'd be interested to hear. I'm sure I'll realize it in due time, and get back to you if you don't to me first.

1. What is a Markov Blanket?

A Markov Blanket is a set of variables that can fully predict the value of a target variable in a network, while excluding all other variables in the network.

2. How is variable independence proven using a Markov Blanket?

Variable independence can be proven in a network by showing that the Markov Blanket of a target variable does not include any of its descendants or parents. This means that the target variable is independent of all other variables in the network given the variables in its Markov Blanket.

3. What is the significance of proving variable independence in a network?

Proving variable independence in a network allows us to simplify complex networks and make predictions based on a smaller set of variables. It also helps in identifying causal relationships between variables.

4. Can a Markov Blanket change over time?

Yes, a Markov Blanket can change over time as the values of variables in a network change. A variable that was not previously part of a Markov Blanket may become a part of it as its value affects the target variable.

5. Are there any limitations to using Markov Blankets to prove variable independence?

One limitation is that Markov Blankets can only be used to prove conditional independence, where the target variable is independent of all other variables given the variables in its Markov Blanket. This may not hold true for all types of data. Additionally, the accuracy of the results depends on the quality and completeness of the data used to construct the network.