Graduate School Advice for Meteorology Majors

In summary: I have taken many classes, but I am not sure if any of them would help me get into a graduate school. I am thinking about maybe taking a class in numerical analysis and a class in electromagnetics. I have also been told that I need to get a masters degree in order to get a good job in weather. Do you know of any good websites that I can check out to find out more information?
aquabug918
Hi everybody. I am currently a junior at a college in Maryland. I have finally realized that I want to be a meteorologist or atleast something similiar. I am majoring in physics and I have taken several chemistry classes. I have also taken 1 programming class and 1 statistics class. I really want to go on to graduate school if possible. Does this even seem possible with a GPA around 3.2-3.3? Since I can't get a BS in meterology at this university (UMBC) is there any classes that would be good to take? Also is there anything else I can do right now to get on the right track, i.e. getting ready for the gre's? Finally, does anybody know of any good websites that I could check out to get more information? I am pretty confindent that this is what I want to get a job in after college. I have always been interested in the weather since I was a little kid. Thank you very much!

Physics news on Phys.org
Well let's see, that was a lot of questions.

First my background. Have a BS in math, then went to a Air Force recruiter and asked for a technical job. Went to the Navy's grad school for a year to get the basics of meteorology and am now a weather officer. I had ZERO prior interest in weather but found that it lined up with a lot of my interests.

So the question is, grad school in meteorology. Yes it's possible without a BS in meteorology. A lot schools have no problem with math and physics undergrads and will also accept engineering degrees. Which classes would help you from a physics major? Thermodynamics for one. Also any sort of fluid dynamics. Electromagnetics will give you a jump on truly understanding radar and remote sensing techniques. Numerical analysis? You bet that would help. Plus math, math, math, math!

Job prospects? I don't really know, I'm not planning on staying in weather when I get out next year. There's always the government: NWS, NOAA, the military, etc... although the AF is "force shaping" weather dudes pretty hard right now. Next are the government contractors. Finally you have industry. Apparently there are some weird weather jobs out there you wouldn't expect. A master's degree is pretty much required for a lot of these. A PhD places you in academia or government research.

That said, weather is a highly observational science. I did NOT understand that going into this deal. I did fine in school, but it was quite a shock when I got to my unit and realized the shear amount of data available throughout the normal day. Surface observations ever hour or more, upper air data twice a day, multispectral satellite data and derived products, radar, tons of models (is it reliable today?!), automated sensors vs. observers. Sure my math background meant I had good analytic skills, but coming out of school I barely knew what a cold front was let alone what kind of impacts to expect.

If weather has always interested you and you're a weather nerd with a physics degree, I'd suggest going straight to grad school. Otherwise, get a job and stare at data for a year before you go back.

GRE? There's a subject exam in physics and would probably help to take it if you could score awesome, otherwise forget about it and focus on the general exam. You should take them ideally over summer before senior year.

Websites? Do you need weather websites? Check out the American Meteorological Society... all their pre-2000 journal articles are free online. Also there are the COMET MetEd modules for learning about forecasting. Good luck and please ask more questions!

Thank you so much for the reply!

I am sure I want to go to graduate school in Meterology right after graduating, that is if I can get in. I am hoping around 3.2-3.3 gpa is good enough.

1. How important is research experience for getting into a graduate program in meteorology?

Research experience is extremely important for getting into a graduate program in meteorology. Most programs look for applicants who have a strong background in research and have completed independent projects. This shows that you have the necessary skills and experience to conduct original research in the field.

2. What kind of courses should I take as an undergraduate to prepare for graduate studies in meteorology?

As an undergraduate, it is important to take courses in meteorology, atmospheric science, physics, math, and computer science. These courses will provide you with a strong foundation in the core concepts and skills needed for graduate studies in meteorology.

3. How important are letters of recommendation in the graduate school application process?

Letters of recommendation are very important in the graduate school application process. These letters provide insight into your academic abilities, research experience, and potential for success in a graduate program. It is important to choose recommenders who know you well and can speak to your strengths and qualifications for a graduate program in meteorology.

4. Should I apply to multiple graduate programs in meteorology?

Yes, it is recommended to apply to multiple graduate programs in meteorology. This will increase your chances of being accepted into a program, as well as give you options to choose from. It is important to research each program and tailor your application to fit their specific requirements and focus areas.

5. What are some tips for writing a strong personal statement for a meteorology graduate program?

Some tips for writing a strong personal statement for a meteorology graduate program include highlighting your research experience, explaining your interest and passion for the field, and showcasing your academic and professional achievements. It is also important to demonstrate your specific goals and how the program aligns with them. Finally, make sure to proofread and have someone else review your statement for clarity and effectiveness.