A Few Quick Questions: Integral Notation and Integrals

In summary: Thanks, So when you are asked to find the area under a curve between two points and the function happens to be both above and below the x-axis on that interval. You are really being asked to find the difference between the area above and below the graph to the x axis?Yes. Exactly.
Canadian

Homework Statement

The integral (2x) dx between x= -2 and 1

and indefinate integral (dx)/((x+3)^2)

Homework Equations

None really.

The Attempt at a Solution

I am working through practice problems for my final later this week. I have come across a few integral problems where the answer comes out as a negative number. I have no problems doing these questions I am just having an issue understanding how an area can be negative.

And for the second one does this simply mean that it is integral (1/((x+3)^2) dx??

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Canadian said:
I am working through practice problems for my final later this week. I have come across a few integral problems where the answer comes out as a negative number. I have no problems doing these questions I am just having an issue understanding how an area can be negative.

We define a negative area to mean the area underneath the graph when the function is negative, and so is below the x axis. As an example, consider the integral of the function sin(x) between pi and 2*pi:
[tex] \int_\pi^{2\pi}sin(x)dx=[-cos(x)]_\pi^{2\pi}=-2 [/tex]

Looking at the graph of the sine function, we see that the given integral is in the region where the function is negative, and so this gives rise to the "negative" area under the curve.

And for the second one does this simply mean that it is integral (1/((x+3)^2) dx??

Thanks
Correct.

Last edited:
Thanks,

So when you are asked to find the area under a curve between two points and the function happens to be both above and below the x-axis on that interval. You are really being asked to find the difference between the area above and below the graph to the x axis?

I guess I shouldn't be thinking in terms of area then.

Canadian said:
So when you are asked to find the area under a curve between two points and the function happens to be both above and below the x-axis on that interval. You are really being asked to find the difference between the area above and below the graph to the x axis?
Exactly.
Canadian said:
I guess I shouldn't be thinking in terms of area then.
Thinking of integration in terms of area can actually be quite helpful at times, consider:
[tex] \int_0^{2\pi}sin(x)dx[/tex]

Because the area above the graph is the same as the area below the graph, you immediately know the integral evaluates to 0, without doing any integration.

Canadian said:
Thanks,

Yes, then if the difference is negative, it shows the area below the x-axis is greater, and vice versa. If you consider the above example with sin(x), but this time integrate between 0 and 2*pi, then the value of the integral is zero. This is because the area below and above the axis are equal, and so cancel out.

What is integral notation?

Integral notation is a mathematical notation used to represent the concept of integration, which is a mathematical process of finding the area under a curve.

What is the difference between definite and indefinite integrals?

A definite integral has specific limits of integration, while an indefinite integral does not have any limits and represents a family of functions. In other words, a definite integral gives a specific numerical value, while an indefinite integral gives a general formula.

What is the fundamental theorem of calculus?

The fundamental theorem of calculus is a theorem that connects the concept of differentiation and integration. It states that the integral of a function f(x) can be evaluated by finding an antiderivative F(x) and plugging in the upper and lower limits of integration.

How do you solve an integral?

To solve an integral, you can use various techniques such as integration by substitution, integration by parts, or trigonometric substitution. You can also use online tools or software to find the antiderivative and evaluate the integral.

Why are integrals important in mathematics?

Integrals are important in mathematics because they allow us to find the area under a curve, which has many real-world applications. They are also used in many branches of mathematics, such as physics, engineering, and economics, to solve various problems and equations.