A simple molecular drawing program?

In summary, the conversation discussed various software options for drawing and editing simple molecules. Some suggestions included Chemdraw, Paint, ACD/ChemSketch, and Isis draw. The conversation also mentioned the availability of databases and subscriptions through universities.
Werg22
I tried Chimera, but I found it to be too complicated for I need... is there a simpler program out there for simple molecules?

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Werg22 said:
I tried Chimera, but I found it to be too complicated for I need... is there a simpler program out there for simple molecules?

The Chemdraw software is pretty good, they have molecular drawing softwares as well as some nice databases, your university may have already subscribed you to some softwares of theirs...you should have received a notification in your email if such was the case.

For simple molecules, you may want to try drawing it out with Paint.

GCT said:
For simple molecules, you may want to try drawing it out with Paint.
Paint?? :bugeye: :rofl:

Werg22,
Just use http://www.acdlabs.com/download/chemsk.html! It's small, free, and it does 3D...
:smile:

Last edited:
I used to use ChemDraw for lab reports, they used to have a chemdraw 2D and 3D, but i think they are under one package now.

bomba923 said:
Paint?? :bugeye: :rofl:

Werg22,
Just use http://www.acdlabs.com/download/chemsk.html! It's small, free, and it does 3D...
:smile:

I was pretty desparate, AND IT WORKED GREAT! You can get pretty sophisticated with paint, you can basically edit anything with it.

You can get pretty sophisticated with paint, you can basically edit anything with it.

You can get extremely sophisticated w/paint :rofl: :rofl:

Chem draw is good. Chem draw ultra has everything you would probably ever need.

Isis draw is really good too.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is a molecular drawing program and how does it work?

A molecular drawing program is a computer software that allows scientists to create digital representations of molecules and chemical structures. It works by using a set of predefined tools and algorithms to help users draw, manipulate, and analyze molecular structures.

2. What are the benefits of using a molecular drawing program?

Using a molecular drawing program offers several benefits, including the ability to create accurate and detailed representations of molecules, save and share digital copies of molecular structures, and perform virtual experiments and simulations.

3. Is a molecular drawing program user-friendly for beginners?

Yes, many molecular drawing programs have user-friendly interfaces and intuitive tools that make it easy for beginners to learn and use. Some programs also offer tutorials and help sections to assist users in getting started.

4. Can a molecular drawing program be used for professional scientific research?

Yes, many molecular drawing programs are designed specifically for scientific research and offer advanced features such as 3D visualization, energy minimization, and molecular dynamics simulations. These programs are widely used in the scientific community for drug discovery, materials science, and other research fields.

5. Are there any limitations to using a molecular drawing program?

One potential limitation of using a molecular drawing program is that the accuracy and reliability of the digital structures depend on the quality of the input data and the algorithms used by the program. Additionally, molecular drawing programs may not be able to accurately represent very large or complex molecules.