A Man and His Shadow: Velocity and Relationship with Sunlight

• Thread starter Gyroscope
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Shadow
In summary, the conversation discusses the velocity of the shadow of a man's head as he moves in a straight line below a candle on the ceiling of a room. The equation v_{\rm shadow}=\left \frac{H}{H-h} \right v_1 is used to determine the velocity of the shadow, and it is concluded that when the man is outside walking below the sun, the velocity of his shadow will be the same as his own velocity. Dorothy also believes that the shadow may accelerate, but the discussion focuses on the shadow as a point and concludes that the given equation is correct. A second opinion is requested.
Gyroscope

Homework Statement

One man, with height h, is inside a room. On the ceiling of the room there is a candle that is at a height H from the floor. The man moves in a straight line with velocity v1, passing below the candle.

a) Determine the velocity of the shadow of his head projected on the floor.

b) What is the relationship between the velocity of the man and the velocity of the shadow of his head when he walks outside below the sun.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

a)

[tex]v_{\rm shadow}=\left \frac{H}{H-h} \right v_1[/tex]

b)

In this case, H >> h, so vshadow=vman.

Am I right? Thanks in advance for your replies.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I don't think you can use a scalar here. My experience is that a shadow "accelerates". When he is underneath the candle, there will be practically no shadow. When he is farther away, the shadow will be much larger. So it accelerates, so to speak.

Dorothy

Dorothy, but we are concerned only about the shadow of his head as we can see it as a point. Why do you say it is accelerating?

Hi Gyroscope,

Yes, sorry. I think your solution is correct.

Dorothy

No problem :biggrin: ... Thanks for replying to my post.

It is not that I don't trust Dorothy, but I would like a second opinion. I just love second opinions!

1. What is the concept of "A Man and His Shadow: Velocity and Relationship with Sunlight"?

The concept of "A Man and His Shadow: Velocity and Relationship with Sunlight" is a scientific study that explores the relationship between a man's velocity and the movement of his shadow in relation to sunlight. It aims to understand how a man's movement affects the position and size of his shadow, and how sunlight plays a role in this relationship.

2. How does a man's velocity affect the size and position of his shadow?

A man's velocity directly affects the size and position of his shadow. The faster a man moves, the longer and more stretched out his shadow becomes. Similarly, when a man moves in a circular motion, his shadow also moves in a circular motion around him.

3. What role does sunlight play in the relationship between a man and his shadow?

Sunlight is the main factor in the relationship between a man and his shadow. The direction and angle of sunlight determine the direction and length of a man's shadow. As the sun moves throughout the day, the position and size of a man's shadow also change accordingly.

4. How does the time of day affect the relationship between a man and his shadow?

The time of day has a significant impact on the relationship between a man and his shadow. During sunrise and sunset, when the sun is closer to the horizon, a man's shadow is longer and more stretched out. As the sun reaches its peak in the sky, a man's shadow becomes shorter and more condensed.

5. What can be learned from studying the relationship between a man and his shadow?

Studying the relationship between a man and his shadow can provide insights into the movement of objects in relation to sunlight. It also helps us understand the concept of shadows and how they are formed. This study can also have practical applications, such as in the fields of architecture and urban planning, where understanding the movement and position of shadows is important for building design.